oscaray

Hi,

I try to install the netapp-harvest package, in CentOS 8, like this:

yum install netapp-harvest-1.6-1.noarch.rpm

and throws me this error:

Error:
Problem: conflicting requests
- nothing provides / usr / bin / python needed by netapp-harvest-1.6-1.noarch
- nothing provides perl (Excel :: Writer :: XLSX) needed by netapp-harvest-1.6-1.noarch

I have python 2 and python 3 installed, I have tried choosing both versions and the error persists.

# alternatives --config python

Hay 3 programas que proporcionan 'python'.

Selección Comando
-----------------------------------------------
* 1 /usr/libexec/no-python
+ 2 /usr/bin/python2
3 /usr/bin/python3

Any ideas?

Greetings,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

vachagan_gratian

Hi everyone,

Thanks for bringing this into our attention.

I dug a bit into our rpm packager (which was written by @madden long time ago and frankly I didn't know much about its internal workings). What I found is that rpm lists any library used by any file in the package as a required dependency. This is certainly not what we want in Harvest (since the Python extensions are optional, so is Excel :: Writer :: XLSX which is only used by the perf-counters-to-excel utility tool).

I will update our rpm package with a manual list of requirements. Unfortunately it will require time until we can publish it officially on ToolChest. If you don't want to wait and an "unofficial" rpm package if fine for you, please drop me a DM with your email.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

gde

Hi,

I have the same issue on CentOS8 :

error: Failed dependencies:
        /usr/bin/python is needed by netapp-harvest-1.6-1.noarch

For perl-Excel-Writer-XLSX, for the moment, no EPEL package for RHEL8 but you can use the Fedora 28 version (RHEL 8 is based on Fedora 28)

https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//vol/fedora_koji_archive02/packages/perl-Excel-Writer-XLSX/0.96/2.fc28/noarch/perl-Excel-Writer-XLSX-0.96-2.fc28.no...

Regards

oscaray

Hi,

Thank you very much for the information in the perl-Excel-Writer-XLSX package. The installation of the Fedora version worked correctly.

Waiting for a solution to the python problem in the installation of netapp-harvest-1.6-1.noarch.

Regards,

moep

The rpm expects /usr/bin/python which in CentOS 8 doesn't belong to any package according to the following link:

https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2018/11/14/python-in-rhel-8/

If you try "yum provides /usr/bin/python" it will most likely return no packages. To be installable on CentOS 8 the rpm has to be changed to expect /usr/bin/python2 or /usr/bin/python3. Checkout rpmrebuild to modify the package yourself or wait for @vachagan_gratian to fix it.

vachagan_gratian

Hi everyone,

Thanks for bringing this into our attention.

I dug a bit into our rpm packager (which was written by @madden long time ago and frankly I didn't know much about its internal workings). What I found is that rpm lists any library used by any file in the package as a required dependency. This is certainly not what we want in Harvest (since the Python extensions are optional, so is Excel :: Writer :: XLSX which is only used by the perf-counters-to-excel utility tool).

I will update our rpm package with a manual list of requirements. Unfortunately it will require time until we can publish it officially on ToolChest. If you don't want to wait and an "unofficial" rpm package if fine for you, please drop me a DM with your email.

vachagan_gratian

JIC, anyone is interested, I run into a second issue while trying to fix this. Turns out, rpmbuild compiles all executables it finds in the package and terminates if anything fails (in our case it tried to compile a python3-extension with python2). Fixed that following the advise here.

Public