Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Querying Performance Analysis Data in Ops Manager

tharwood

We are looking to create custom reports on performance and capacity for NetApp.   After reviewing the instructions in TR-3960, we setup an ODBC connection and begun reviewing the DFM views available for reporting.  However, even though you can export performance analysis data, much of the performance analysis data that is being collected is not being shown in the views.   Couple of questions:

1.  In what format/database is the performance analysis information being kept?

2.  Is there a way we can query this information directly from a reporting tool or do we have to export it in order to get to the data?

3.  If we setup custom fields such as for marking LUNs and Volumes by business unit, are these custom fields available in the views?

4 REPLIES 4

rshiva

Hi There,

Here are my responses:

In what format/database is the performance analysisinformation being kept?

The Performance data fromperformance advisor in DFM server are stored as flat files under the “perfdata”folder under DFM installation directory.

Is there a way we can query thisinformation directly from a reporting tool or do we have to export it in orderto get to the data?

Absolutely, you can access the Performance reports ofseveral logical and physical objects from Operations Manager. You can accessthe canned reports from the following location:

Control center -> Reports-> All -> Performance column on the left hand side of your screen

You can also create custom performancereports from the custom report section

Control center -> Reports-> Custom

If we setup custom fields such as for marking LUNs andVolumes by business unit, are these custom fields available in the views

I believe it is possible throughcustom report

Thanks and regards

Shiva Raja

tharwood

The problem I am finding is that not all of the information available in Performance Advisor is available using a reporting tool with ODBC connection to report off of the views.   For example, the published and supported views only contain basic CPU busy information for filers and basic LUN level performance information.   Unless I am missing something, I do not see a way to construct a report that can get to the following data:

* disk busy information over time

* disk IOPS information over time

* aggregate IOPS

* per CPU utilization

* Back to back checkpoints

* partial write information

Please verify that there is no way to report off of this information via ODBC with a reporting tool or using the "dfm database query run" command.

Thanks

arndt

You cannot get the performance data via ODBC because it does not actually reside in the database.  You will have to use the "dfm perf data retrieve" command to extract the performance data that you see in Performance Advsior.  Hope that helps,

Mike

rle
NetApp Alumni

As well as "dfm perf data retrieve", you can use the perf-counter APIs.

- Rick -

Public