Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

SANscreen v6.2 Failed to execute Sym CLI symcfg

learnthestorage

Hi,  I have been getting this error for symm data source.  

Data source for symm gives error: Failed to execute Sym CLI symcfg

Checked symcli\bin>symcfg list

Give the details of all local and remote symmetrix arrays. (DMX and VMAX)

emc solutions enabler 7.2 with smi-s 4.2 installed locally on sanscreen server. and se configured to list all the symm arrays.

For navicli clar data source getting the error

Internal process framework exception

Help required,

Regards,

John Jr.

9 REPLIES 9

learnthestorage

SANscreen v6.1.3

learnthestorage

Note:  Do I need SE 7/7.1 alone for VMAX-1, VMAX-SE array discovery? I have SE 7.2 configured, but facing errors discovering.  Regards, John Jr.

ostiguy

In the ..\sanscreen\acq\log directory, there are foundation_xxx...zip files that correlate with a datasource named xxx. If you drill into them, in the timestamp folder (10 or 11 digits long folder name), you can see the output of the commands SANscreen runs.

In the clariion recording, see what is output for the *version* file and the *getall*

In the symmetrix, see what is in the *symcfg* file.

Did you upgrade an existing 6.1.3 server to 6.2.0? I am not sure why the data sources did not just work on upgrade.

If this is a new server:

Make sure the naviseccli.exe path is configured correctly in the Clariion datasources. Likewise, sym*.exe for the Symmetrix datasources.

learnthestorage

Hi Matt,

The data source is finally running, and tells me to wait for atleast 1 day.

The symcfg files reads like this.

<SYMCLI>

<version>V7.2.1.1</version>

<edit>1159</edit>

<host_db_sync_time>Wed Aug 10 01:59:29 2011</host_db_sync_time>

<SYMAPI>

<edit>1159</edit>

</SYMAPI>

</SYMCLI>

<SYMAPI>

<edit>1159</edit>

</SYMAPI>

<SYMAPI_Server>

<version>V7.2.0.0</version>

<edit>1108</edit>

Does this mismatch is SYMAPI has caused issues??

Regards,

John Jr.

learnthestorage

Corrected the versions issue, installed the same SE in all the places. 

Looks like symcfg is collecting all the information, even the performance detials are collected, but SANscreen is not able to put that in the application.

The only inventory data source does not acquire the device even after 12 hours, still says acquiring, while the log has all the details collected.

Need some more help.

Regards,

John Jr.

ostiguy

That could be the issue - EMC historically does not support the SE client being newer than the SE server (the host with the actual gatekeepers to the Symm(s)).

What is strange is that with 7.2, they instituted version checks to stop you from using a newer client against an older server. Since you are not running into them, perhaps they are only implemented for point releases (i.e 7.2 vs 7.2) and not maintenance releases (7.2.1 vs 7.2.0).

Is the SE server in the same site as the SANscreen server? How many Symmetrix arrays are on the SE server? If the SE is in a remote site, and there are many arrays, deploying a RAU in the remote site can help.

Matt

learnthestorage

Hi Matt,  Maintained version consistency across units with SE 7.2 with SMI-S 4.2.  Error: Failed to acquire Symmetrix [000*******77]: Device configuration RDF21 is unknown!   Tried both with Solutions Enabler and SANscreen server in same machine and VMAX lun connected. as well as SE client and SANscreen in same machine and SE server communicating with this machine.  Tried with RAU with the same results.  In total I have 2 VMAX arrays and the result is same vice-verse.  Any help would be appreciated.  Regards, John Jr.

ostiguy

Sounds like a potential bug. I'd open a support case with NGS. I am a bit surprised this is an issue though - we have seen RDF21+Mir and RDF21 TDev volume types before as support for them has been added in various version across the past couple years

learnthestorage

Hi Matt, any news on the bug fix?  Regards, John Jr.

Public