Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

SnapMirror status not updated in Ops Manager

shoddinott

Hi

I am having a problem whereby Operations Manager appears to no longer be able to retreive Snap Mirror information from our storage systems. So existing Snap Mirrors at the time of the issue now show as several weeks old (even though they are not) and newly created snapmirrors are not detected (and must therefore have schedules applied manually instead of by policy). This started to happen after ONTAP was upgraded from 7.2.5.1 to 7.3.2 and DFM was upgraded to 3.8.1. However it did not occur immediately after either upgrade. I have raised a case with Support and have been told BUG 382019 and 367643 are the cause. The first does not appear to be related as far as I can see and I can see no content on the second. Does anyone have any thoughts as to watch may be the cause or perhaps come across something similar?

In the smmon.log I see the following line repeated 3 times every 50 minutes (filer name removed).

'Apr 19 09:50:07 [DFMMonitor: INFO]: smmon failed to walk the SNMP snapmirrorStatusTable of StorageSystemName(676): Corrupted data.'

I would much appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

Simon

9 REPLIES 9

msaravan

[Editing the content to remove the sensitive data]

After looking at your smmon.log error message, I can say that you hit the issue 382019 undoubtedly. There are 2 cases (case 2 and case 3) talking about this issue.

Burt 367643 is a proposal proposed for performance improvement and scale-out solution.

Regards,

Saravanan

shoddinott

Hi Saravanan

Thanks very much for your response. Can you please carify what you mean by  "Can you refer the description "Author: marzec  Date: Tue Oct 13 06:09:53 PDT 2009" of this burt. There are 2 cases (case 2 and case 3) talking about this issue." ?

Thanks

Simon

msaravan

[Editing the content to remove the sensitive data]

I was talking about the bug description there. AFAIK, the issue you reported in this forum is as same as bug 382019.

Regards,
Saravanan

marlon

OpsMgr will stop running certain monitors when the free space goes below a certain threshold.

The default minimun free space threshold value is 10%. If the filesystem (linux) or drive (windows) has less than

the specified free space, monitors will stop running.

You can check this by running 'dfm about' and looking for these lines

Installation Directory           /opt/NTAPdfm
                                 2.02 GB free (14.9%)

In this case, there is 14.9% free space so all is good.

It will show an error if the free space is below the threshold.

If this is the case, you'll probably need to free up space.

anantha_dommeti

Even we faced the same kind of issue...Ops Manager shows skewed results for Snapmirror status...It shows as transfering though the actual state is idle.

Support ended the case with bug 382019 and suggesting that 4.1(yet to be released) will take care of the SNMP issues we are currently facing. 4.1 will process SNMP messages better way than what current versions are doing.

I was suggested to reboot the filer to fix the issue which I'm hesistant as anybody else.

The work around I used was disabling and enabling snmp service after a while which fixed the problem whenever it appeared...Try it and let me know if it works.

adaikkap

Its dfm 4.0D1 and not 4.1.

regards

adai

anantha_dommeti

Seems like support engineer misspelt it...I asked him about D1 release of the Ops Manager available on Now.

So I assume that 4.0D1 fixes the problem...4.0 has good counters/views like wafl aligned, partial, unaligned blocks...I wish there is an option of graphing several volumes in one pane in Ops Manager, it would help us in finding heavy hitters at a particular time.

adaikkap

Yes 4.0D1

If you are talking about performance advisor, yes you can create a custom view of different volume with the counters you like.

Regards

adai

shoddinott

Great to see this is such an active community, thanks for all the responses. Anantha, can you explain to me exactly how you would go about "disabling and enabling snmp service"? Do you mean just disabling and enabling SNMP on the filer? If so, this does not seem to have made and improvement.

Simon

Public