Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

System Manager 2.2 RC1 Error on Windows 8

frank_iro

Hi guys,

Just upgraded to System Manager 2.2 RC1 but keep getting an error when I try to run it.

Strange thing is I got this error with version 2.0.2 because I had installed Java 7. I resolved it then by removing java 7 and installing Java 6. However, version 2.2 requires Java 7 and wont install without it. I'm running Windows 7 Pro x64 w/ Java 7u17. I have both 32 & 64 bit Java installed.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

frank_iro

Success!!

Seems it is indeed a Java issue. Java 7 apparently brings support for IPv6, and to quote a user at the java.net forums:

"When you attempt to connect to an IPv4 address then under the covers it will use an IPv4-mapped IPv6 address."

The fix is to add an environment variable to force Java to use IPv4.

Environment variable "_JAVA_OPTIONS"

Value "-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true"

Works perfectly now!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

kryan

Hi Frank,

Under your original thread from 2.0.2 someone posted a solution a week ago:

https://communities.netapp.com/message/105296#105296

Just right click the top bar in ie10 and click menu bar.

On the menu bar click tools - compatibility view settings

Add 127.0.0.1 or set all sites to run in compatibility settings.

Assuming you are using IE10, have you tried this action plan yet?

The Release Notes state the following regarding IE10:

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1153690

•    32-bit or 64-bit Oracle Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 7

•    Internet Explorer 10.0 in compatibility mode (for Windows)

The Release Notes also state that only Java 7 is supported:

•    32-bit or 64-bit Oracle Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 7

The System Manager installer will install the version that matches your host OS - in this case x64.  Therefore you can remove the 32 bit Java.

Thanks,

Kevin

frank_iro

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the input, however, the error I get prevents the browser from opening. Besides, I've configured System Manager to use firefox, not IE10. If you noticed, I actually participated in the first thread you've linked to. Had issues running 2.0.2 on Windows 8, which I resolved by removing Java 7 and installing Java 6, as I've mentioned in my post here too.

I have tried 2.2RC1 with Java 7 32-bit, 64-bit, and both 32 & 64-bit installed, but still no luck. I've manually changed the browser to use through the config file, but still not luck. It appears to be a Java error, so I'm wondering, might I need an earlier update of Java 7? Say, update 10 or something?

frank_iro

Can anyone help with this!?

RAVI_PALADUGU

Sounds weird, but if you stop client firewall from "services.msc" it will work. Let me know if that worked for you.

Best,

RK

gamitabh

Hi Frank

Can you please try using an earlier version of Java-7 say Update-7 or Update-10 and make sure you are not running System Manager from Start Screen.

As Java is supported only on Desktop screen.

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/win8_faq.xml

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Amitabh

frank_iro

Tried disabling windows firewall, but it still doesn't work. Also installed Java 7 Update 2, but I still get the error. And yes, I'm running System Manager from the desktop.

Any more suggestions?

RAVI_PALADUGU

I was asking to turnoff your anivirus firewall. What AV do have on your system?

frank_iro

Had already tried that with no luck Using AVG.

RAVI_PALADUGU

As none of these are working, lets start over with a check list:

1. Adobe flash 11 or later?

2. Browser

• Internet Explorer 8.0 and 9.0 (for Windows)

• Internet Explorer 10.0 in compatibility mode (for Windows)

• Mozilla Firefox 15, 16, 17, and 18 (for both Windows and Linux)

• Google Chrome 23 and 24 (for Windows)

3. JRE 7 (VersionI am running is 7 update 5 (64 bit)

4. Enable HTTP on filer --> httpd.admin.ssl.enable

5. Did you manually specify the port for the Jetty Web server during the System Manager installation? If so you must ensure that the selected port is not used by another application whenever the System Manager application is launched.

6. Did you "run as administrator"?

frank_iro

In response to your questions:

1. Yes, Adobe Flash 11

2. I use Chrome 26 or Firefox 20. Don't use IE. Currently, System Manager is configured to use Firefox. Version 2.0.2 works just fine on both.

3. JRE 7 (have tried update 7, update 11 and update 21)

4. Yes, this is enabled on all the filers I work with, though I'm not sure how this would affect system manager not starting up on my PC??

5. No, I did not manually specify the port. It's set to pick on automatically. I did try setting it manually while troubleshooting, but still got the error.

6. Yes, it's set to "run as administrator", though even if unchecked, I still get the error.

Additionally,

I've tried running in compatibility mode (Windows 7, Windows Vista SP2) but still no joy.

Any other pointers?

RAVI_PALADUGU

4. Yes, this is enabled on all the filers I work with, though I'm not sure how this would affect system manager not starting up on my PC??

You are correct, I just want to know if that was enabled or not.

Continuing to discussion:

=================

I have installed on my windows 7 and it works just fine, still thinking what can be done differently. I am unable to reproduce the same error, so I need to throw out different options at you and so please don't mind.

Can you please completely remove java from you system, restart and install JRE in a different location?

Also is it possible to uninstall AV firewall? if it is ur personal computer and not a company work station.

Regards,

RK

frank_iro

Hi RK,

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Had already tried re-installing Java 7 in a different location. Didn't work. Have tried uninstalling AV also, but that doesn't help either.

Any more suggestion?

Thanks

frank_iro

Success!!

Seems it is indeed a Java issue. Java 7 apparently brings support for IPv6, and to quote a user at the java.net forums:

"When you attempt to connect to an IPv4 address then under the covers it will use an IPv4-mapped IPv6 address."

The fix is to add an environment variable to force Java to use IPv4.

Environment variable "_JAVA_OPTIONS"

Value "-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true"

Works perfectly now!

RAVI_PALADUGU

Finally!! Glad it worked.

Public