I've recently upgraded to OnCommand 5.0 and was previously using the OSSV plugin for VMWare to backup my VMs to a FAS3160 system. I've been playing around with the OnCommand Host Plugin and have installed it on my vCentre server, have managed to create the datasets and apply the protection policy, but I cannot seem to add and VMs to the dataset (attached screenshot shows the error message)
I'm wondering that the error could be due to my VMWare datastores not being on NetApp storage as they are on EMC.
The oncommand host package supports backup of vm that are hosted only on NetApp Storage and not non-netapp. For that use the OSSV version 3.0.1 to backup vm's hosted on non netapp to be backedup to netapp.
OnCommand 5.0 Host Package does not work with OSSV. Backups with OSSV from non-NetApp storage work with OC5 the same way they did before - nothing changed.
- Install OSSV agent on ESX host (no Host Package required at all, just Core, and rember, OSSV for ESX is only supported up to ESX3.5)
- add ESX host to DFM database via Protection Manager Interface (the seperate NMC GUI)
- create a dataset within the NMC Protection Manager
- add your OSSV hosts/VMs to that dataset
- apply a protection policy
- assign a secondary ressource pool so that ProtMgr can provision the required secondary storage and initiate the SV relationships (btw. use a provisioning policy with "manual deduplication" for the secondary ressource pool so that dedup and SV interact correctly).