Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Virtual appliance resource recommendations - 12 disks?

martinrudjakobsen

Hello.

I am looking at the "Virtual appliance resource recommendations" and it says 12 disks for 1200 servers. The "Virtual appliance host requirements" says at least 5 disks spindles.

So, are we talking 12 virtual disks?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

plauterb

OnCommand Balance performance is mostly limited by the performance of its internal database. This refers to the number of physical spindles behind the datastore that the virtual appliance is running on. For a large install, having Balance deployed on an aggregate that spans at least one shelf is preferred.

These are general guidelines, to prevent people from deploying large Balance installs on a single local disk, or too small an aggregate for the load.

You should also monitor the Balance VA with itself, it can tell you how it is performing.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

plauterb

OnCommand Balance performance is mostly limited by the performance of its internal database. This refers to the number of physical spindles behind the datastore that the virtual appliance is running on. For a large install, having Balance deployed on an aggregate that spans at least one shelf is preferred.

These are general guidelines, to prevent people from deploying large Balance installs on a single local disk, or too small an aggregate for the load.

You should also monitor the Balance VA with itself, it can tell you how it is performing.

martinrudjakobsen

Thanks.

I assumed that the documentation referred to the disks it runs on and not in the virtual server itself but I was unsure.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Public