Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

WFA 2.0 - aggregate finder based on disk type?

reide

I'm using WFA 2.0.  In the Create Volume command, I'm using an aggregate finder. I was surprised to see that no finder exists to select an aggregate based on disk type (SAS, SATA, FC, SSD).  Especially since you do have finders for block-type. I would view this capability as key to delivering tiers of service. Is this something we could add in a later release?  Am I missing some way to accomplish this?

I know that resource groups in DFM could be used for this task. However, that is a bad idea and let me explain why. Unlike WFA, DFM doesn't have the ability to easily adhere to standards and best practices. If someone creates a new SATA aggregate on a controller, DFM will automatically discover the new aggregate. However, DFM will not automatically add it to the correct resource group.  It doesn't have the intelligence required to make that decision.  So you're dependent on a manual process (updating resource group in DFM) to power your workflow automation.  I'm not sure that's a good idea.

I also know that proper naming conventions of aggregates could help with this. But imagine implementing WFA into a large existing environment where naming standards are not enforced and the name of the aggregate tells you nothing about it.

I'd much rather have the ability in WFA to find an aggregate based on its disk type (SATA, FC, SAS, etc..) - and perhaps even the exact disk size (450 GB SAS, 600 GB SAS). This eliminates the need to depend on resource groups and that manual process.  It would also allow me to deploy WFA into an existing customer environment that is a mess, and start successfully automating workflows.  I could also define tiers of storage (Bronze = SATA 1 TB disk, Gold=600 GB SAS, etc..).

Thanks.

Reid

10 REPLIES 10
Public