Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

WFA Query AD

braashcj3

Using the following statement

$aduser = "Get-ADUser -f {SamAccountName -eq $user} -Properties mail | select-Object mail"

Get-WFALogger -Info -message $aduser  ONLY returns the  "Get-ADUser -f {SamAccountName -eq $user} -Properties mail | select-Object mail"

Has anyone been able to get the return and assign it to a variable to work with in WFA?

THanks!!!!

11 REPLIES 11

sinhaa

If you want the value of the attribute mail for the user, the below statement will work.

$aduser = Get-ADUser -Filter {samAccountName -eq $user} -Properties mail |Select-Object "mail"

Get-WFALogger -Info -message $aduser.mail

--------

Your statement as below doesn't work, because you have declared it as a string. This has nothing to do with WFA, it will show similar result if executed with write-host on a powershell console.

$aduser = "Get-ADUser -f {SamAccountName -eq $user} -Properties mail | select-Object mail"

Write-Host $aduser

sinhaa

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

braashcj3

Do you have a sample ?

Thank You,

John Marotta

USAA, Storage Management

913-2596

braashcj3

here is what got:

PS Y:\> $aduser = "Get-ADUser -f {SamAccountName -eq '12345'} -Properties mail | select-Object mail"

PS Y:\> Write-Host $aduser

Get-ADUser -f {SamAccountName -eq '12345'} -Properties mail | select-Object mail

braashcj3

just echos back the cmd but $aduser does not contain the data from the cmd.

sinhaa

Of course, because you are trying the wrong command. I gave you the right one above ( in Green color ). Try that, it will work.

In powershell, anything withing double quotes will be treated as plain strings.

sinhaa

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

braashcj3

Thanks sinhaa, I tried the one you provided in WFA but got this:

$aduser = Get-ADUser -Filter {samAccountName -eq $user} -Properties mail |Select-Object "mail"

The term 'Get-ADUser' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

This exact cmd does work within powershell and returns the email from the $user:

$aduser = Get-ADUser -Filter {samAccountName -eq $user} -Properties mail |Select-Object mail

Thank You,

John Marotta

USAA, Storage Management

913-2596

sinhaa

You need to Import the ActiveDirectory Module in your WFA command. Since it worked from PS console I assume you have ActiveDirectory PS modules available. Also since its on localhost, you don't need provide credentials.

Type the below in WFA command code to import the Module :

###

Import-Module ActiveDirectory

---

sinhaa

braashcj3

Ok thanks again, tried

Import-Module ActiveDirectory

But got this:

Cannot bind argument to parameter 'message' because it is null.

Thank You,

John Marotta

USAA, Storage Management

913-2596

sinhaa

You got this because the $user you have provided has empty mail Attribute and hence the $aduser.mail is null. Does the user you have given has this attribute set? By default mail attributes are NOT set for AD users. To verify, On PS console print like: write-host $aduser.mail

braashcj3

Yes the xxxxx is my ID and from the PS console it returns my email

$aduser = Get-ADUser -f {samAccountName -eq 'xxxxx'} -Properties mail |Select-Object mail

mail

-

john.marotta@xxxx.xxx<mailto:john.marotta@xxxx.xxx>

Thank You,

John Marotta

USAA, Storage Management

913-2596

sinhaa

John,

Post the screencap of your command and the failure message. Also the results from PS console. If you don't want to post here, send me via email at: sinhaa at netapp dot com

Public