Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

WFA qtree stats?

jauling_chou

Does anyone know if WFA 3.0 can see qtree stats?

I have a developer who has admin access to 7mode filers, so he is able to pull qtree stats directly from these filers. When it comes to cluster mode though, the developers only have access to DFM and WFA.

Does anyone know if WFA 3.0 or DFM 5.2 have access to these metrics? I suppose worse case scenario is that we give the developers access to the cluster mode vservers directly, but I'd like to consider that as a last resort.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

madden

Hi @jauling_chou

Aha, I had forgotten that there was a qtree statistics command!  The bug I was referring to is when accessing this information using the counter manager interface; statistics CLI, or perf-* API.  If the qtree statistics command works (a quick test looks ok on my side too) then it would be a solution for you now!

Cheers,
Chris Madden

Storage Architect, NetApp EMEA (and author of Harvest)

Blog: It all begins with data

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO or both!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

madden

Hi @jauling_chou,

The qtree stats were not fully functional in cDOT until Data ONTAP 8.3.2.  I checked OCUM 6.4 and didn't see any qtree stats in there yet so I think you will need to collect directly from the clusters, assuming you have at least 8.3.2 deployed.

Cheers,
Chris Madden

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO or both!

jauling_chou

@madden wrote:

Hi @jauling_chou,

The qtree stats were not fully functional in cDOT until Data ONTAP 8.3.2.  I checked OCUM 6.4 and didn't see any qtree stats in there yet so I think you will need to collect directly from the clusters, assuming you have at least 8.3.2 deployed.

Cheers,
Chris Madden

Thanks for the quick response @madden! Do you have any reference material explaining the crippled functionality of qtree stats in cDOT prior to ONTAP 8.3.2? I only ask because my storage guys just pasted me qtree stats from cDOT ONTAP 8.2.3 from the CLI, and it looks to be showing me NFS Ops data. Since you mentioned this, I'm not sure if we should rely on this data even though it exists.

Jau

madden

Hi @jauling_chou

I believe the ops counters are accurate, but the SVM name is missing and the volume name might be incorrect, which can be problematic for many use cases.  For more details see Bug ID 922531.

Cheers,
Chris Madden

jauling_chou

Thanks for the Bug ID, I'll pass it onto our storage engineers.

Here is the output of qtree stats from a cDOT ONTAP 8.2.3 vserver:

# cm1 qtree stats volume1
Vserver    Volume        Qtree        NFS Ops      CIFS Ops
---------- ------------- ------------ ------------ ----------
vserver1 volume1 "" 18 0
vserver1 volume1 qtree1 55579 0
vserver1 volume1 qtree2 13162860 0
vserver1 volume1 qtree3 52326001 0
vserver1 volume1 qtree4 34880152 0
5 entries were displayed.

I obsfuscated the cluster/vserver/volume/qtree names. The data looks proper to me, am I missing something?

madden

Hi @jauling_chou

Aha, I had forgotten that there was a qtree statistics command!  The bug I was referring to is when accessing this information using the counter manager interface; statistics CLI, or perf-* API.  If the qtree statistics command works (a quick test looks ok on my side too) then it would be a solution for you now!

Cheers,
Chris Madden

Public