Data Infrastructure Management Software Discussions

Re: What prevents VMotion being supported with Ops Manager 3.7?

We have DFM 3.8 installed on a VM box.  We vmotion it all time and we have never experienced an issue as far as I know.  Netapp does not support this only because they haven't tested it, but it works fine for us.

Thanks....good to have some confirmation.

It works fine in a VM.  I've never had an issue with vMotion or svMotion.  I'm running 3.8 now and was running 3.7 before.  64-bit Windows now on vSphere 4.1.  32-bit Windows on VMware 3.5 previously.

Starting Ops-Mgr 4.0  VMware Vmotion and HA are supported.The below text is from the Interoperability Matrix Tool .

DataFabric Manager Server 4.0 and above supports VMware VMotion and VMware High Availability features for
- VMware Infrastructure 3 version 3.5
- VMware vSphere 4

Regards

adai

I'm hugely relieved by that.

We run Ops Mgr on VMware and have done for years, with DRS and HA and without problem.

If HA has to restart a VM it is no different from the guest's POV to a physical server crashing. I would hope that Sybase is resistant to that scenario because crashes are an unfortunate fact of life in IT and always have been. Though fortunately for us not a common event.

VMotion is transparent to guests (apart from a very small amount of network packet loss) so I don't see how that could cause problems.

Now we have the 4.0.1 the GA release of Ops-Mgr, feel free to upgrade and take advantage of fully qualified support for Vmotion and HA, with increased performance.

Regards

adai

Forums