Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

When installing OnCommand Core 5.0 what .Net components do you need?

benjstarratt

On Windows 2008 R2 when installing OnCommand Core 5.0 the setup information states it requires .Net 3.51.  When selecting the feature, which of the subcomponents do I need specifically?  If I choose the WCF Activation the IIS role is added a required component.  I would rather not install IIS if it is not necessary.  I know I do need the Net.TCP port sharing service in the documentation.

12 REPLIES 12

adaikkap

Hi Ben,

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but AFAIK OCUM installation doesn't require any specific .Net Package.

Is it a standard Windows 2008 R2 ? Can you give us the output of system info ?

BTW pls install 5.0.2P2 or 5.2 RC the latest GA and RC releases respectively and not the old FCS 5.0 version.

Regards

adai

benjstarratt

I am using OnCommand® Unified Manager Core Package 5.2 RC1. 

The documentation for "OnCommand® Unified Manager Installation and Setup Guide For Use with Core Package 5.2 and Host Package 1.3" page 32 says I need .Net 3.5SP1 for the Host Package which I need.

On Windows 2008 R2, to install .Net 3.5 you go into the Features part of the Server Manager.  When you are installing 3.5.1 there are two subcomponents (see the picture in my original post).  Do I need both subcomponents?  If I add the WCF Activation piece of .Net 3.5.1 I will end up with IIS installed as it is required for WCF Activation.  So I really don't want to install that piece--but I also don't want to end up with a broken install months later because some required piece was missing and I never used that functionality initially.

Thanks for any help.

kryan

Hello,

.Net 3.5 is a requirement for installing and using the OnCommand Host Package.

If you are not installing that software then there is no need to install the .Net components on the server.

Thanks,

Kevin

benjstarratt

I am using OnCommand® Unified Manager Core Package 5.2 RC1.

The documentation for "OnCommand® Unified Manager Installation and Setup Guide For Use with Core Package 5.2 and Host Package 1.3" page 32 says I need .Net 3.5SP1 for the Host Package which I need.

On Windows 2008 R2, to install .Net 3.5 you go into the Features part of the Server Manager.  When you are installing 3.5.1 there are two subcomponents (see the picture in my original post).  Do I need both subcomponents?  If I add the WCF Activation piece of .Net 3.5.1 I will end up with IIS installed as it is required for WCF Activation.  So I really don't want to install that piece--but I also don't want to end up with a broken install months later because some required piece was missing and I never used that functionality initially.

Thanks for any help.

benjstarratt

Also...thanks for pointing out that I only need it for the Host packages.  I hadn't realized that, but I do need the host packages...so question stands.

adaikkap

Hi Ben,

As kevin said, Host Package and not Core Package that requires .NetFramework. Also can you give me more details on what is that you plan on using Host Package for ?

Also keep in mind Host Package requires a license to be bought for backup and restore of virtual machine though there is no key required during install. Its licensed based on controllers.

Regards

adai

benjstarratt

My understanding is the VMware functionality requires the Host Package.  We also have a handful of physical systems we are testing with OSSV.  We own licenses for the VMware pieces for all of our controllers.

adaikkap

Hi Ben,

IIRC its only .Net and not WCF but let me confirm the same for you and update.

Regards

adai

kryan

Pre-reqs for the OnCommand Host Package include:

Common Name                     Distributed Installer

• Windows 2003 SP2           WindowsServer2003-KB914961-SP2-x86-ENU.exe
  • .NET 3.5                                dotnetfx35.exe   and   NDP35SP1-KB958484-x86.exe
  • Win2008 security fix           WindowsServer2003-KB968730-x86-ENU.exe
  • PowerShell 2.0                    WindowsServer2003-KB968930-x86-ENG.exe

There will not be any enhancements made to the HP software after the upcoming 1.3 release - this is something to keep in mind if you are just beginning to deploy it.

benjstarratt

Is the HP (Host Package?) software as a requirement being removed?  We currently just use standard NetApp snapshots/snapshots/snapmirror (depending or what we are doing) to protect our VMs.  I used SMVI when it was new and wasn't impressed.  I am hoping to give it another look.  If the host package stuff is nearing its end, I would just as soon skip it and wait.  Would it still be required for OSSV?  (Sorry this is ranging afield)

kryan

Yes, HP == Host Package.

The product to use as a follow on to SMVI is VSC, not OCHP. 

OSSV is not tied into VSC nor OCHP.  UM can manage OSSV client backups and can manage the OSSV services using the NetApp Host Agent (NHA), not to be confused with the Host Package.

adaikkap

OSSV is used when the storage being backed up is non NetApp but the target is NetApp. Given that its not your case I dont see a need for OSSV though its a circuitous way to protect data when its still netapp.

Regards

adai

Public