Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Workflow for clone creation

SURESH_SENNIAPPAN

Hi Guys,

I need to build a workflow for creation of clone from parent volume and add it to the vfiler and NFS export as well.

Here i would like to give the user input's as

1.Array name

2.Parent vol

3.Snapshot

4.Vfiler name

5.NFS export hosts

Please assist me to build this workflow.

Thanks

S Suresh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kjens

Hi,

first of all, I've modified the corresponding workflow once again, because there was some none unique sql queries within the parent volume command.

so please use the attached WF .. regarding the /etc/exports, I've checked that in my envrionment and the new export definitions will extend the existing config file.

but my suggestion would be to test the WF in your test envrionment and afterwards on your production systems.

have fun, thx and regards Jens

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

abhit

There is a workflow named "Clone Environment" bundled with WFA.

You can look into it. It will surely help you to get started.

Let us know if you have any more queries.

Regards

Abhi

SURESH_SENNIAPPAN

Thanks Abhi

"Clone Environment " bundle has given me some idea.

But i would like to get the Array name , volume name , snapshots and vfiler names in a drop down list .

Its possible to implement this?

abhit

It is possible to implement this.

"Create a Qtree CIFS Share in a vFiler" will give you an idea how you can have "Array name", "Volume Name", "vFiler names" in a drop down list.

Regards
Abhi

ag
NetApp

Adding to Abhi's answer.

Navigate to setup from your workflow designer page.

Go to "user inputs" tab.

Select the input that you want in a drop down list and change type to query.

Double click on it and go to the Query Section where you can specify a query to retrieve whatever vfilers you want.

Example of a query can be seen in the "create Qtree CIFS share in a vFiler" workflow as mentioned by Abhi

kjens

7-Mode or cDOT?

regards

jens

abhit

7-mode.

Abhi

kjens

in the first step, you have to enable the snapshot acquisition.

afterwards you can import the attached workflow. please let me if the WF fits your requirements, thx and regards jens

SURESH_SENNIAPPAN

Hi Klein,

The workflow looks good. but how can i change the user input tab?

I would like to give the clone volume name manually and also i need to add the newly created clone volume to vfiler.

Please suggest ...

abhit

You can use a string user input in order to give the clone volume name manually, if you don't need a drop down.

To add the newly created volume to vFiler, you can look into the "Create a Qtree CIFs share in a Vfiler" workflow's,

"Create Volume" command code.

Regards

Abhi

SURESH_SENNIAPPAN

Hi klien/Abhi,

How can i add the newly created clone volume to the vfiler ?

Then i am unable to add new values in user inputs tab on the setup

abhit

Look in the command "Create Volume" command code in  "Create a Qtree CIFs share in a Vfiler" workflow.

If vFilerName is specified then this will add Volume to the VFiler.

# Add storage to vFiler

if($VFilerName)

{

Get-WFALogger -Info -message $("Adding storage " + $VolumeName + " to vFiler " + $VFilerName)

Set-NaVfilerStorage -Name $VFilerName -AddStorage $VolumeName

}

Can you please clarify what you meant by "i am unable to add new values in user inputs tab on the setup"?

Regards

Abhi

SURESH_SENNIAPPAN

Hi abhi,

I am getting below error while adding the volume to vfiler

What i am missing here ?

abhit

It is failing in the planning stage. It is not going to the point where the command code

is to be executed to add the volume to the vFiler.

"Define vFiler" should define an object.

Put something like vFilerObj in the "Define vFiler" box.

$VFilerName is where you actually specify the name of the vFiler.

vFilerObj object will be automatically created in the above screens,

by searching for the vFiler Name specified in $VFilerName.

Regards

Abhi

kjens

hi,

to connect the vFiler, please check the following: https://communities.netapp.com/message/97132#97132

So I've modified my example workflow for you with all the necessary Definitions & Parameters.

so feel free to import the WF and let me know, if there any questions left ..

thx and regards

Jens

SURESH_SENNIAPPAN

Hi Abhi /Klein,

Thanks a lot. the workflow works great with the help of you guys.

I have one doubt, When we export the newly created volume to some IP's from this workflow that will append to the existing value on the /etc/exports file or it will overwrite ?

SURESH_SENNIAPPAN

Hi Abhi /Klein,

Thanks a lot. the workflow works great with the help of you guys.

I have one doubt, When we export the newly created volume to some IP's from this workflow that will append to the existing value on the /etc/exports file or it will overwrite ?

kjens

Hi,

first of all, I've modified the corresponding workflow once again, because there was some none unique sql queries within the parent volume command.

so please use the attached WF .. regarding the /etc/exports, I've checked that in my envrionment and the new export definitions will extend the existing config file.

but my suggestion would be to test the WF in your test envrionment and afterwards on your production systems.

have fun, thx and regards Jens

SURESH_SENNIAPPAN

Hi Klien ,

Thanks its too fine. its meets all my requirements.

I will test the exports and will let you know the update.

One more thing i am able to list the volume name with size details using SQL query , But with the same im not able to get for aggregate..Its possible to get the aggregate list with size details , if yes means how to write a sql query for that?

kjens

hi and sorry for my late response, but I'd a lot of work to do ...

Attached the reviewed workflow incl. the listed aggregate + size query.

have a lot of fun and let me know, if there are any wishes regarding the workflow ...

thx and regards Jens

Public