Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

how to collect data for events in Unified Manager Online?

DavidCao

How does the unified manager to collect data for these events which showes in the system? I think this is not genereated by auto support. Please help me out. Thanks.

like this 

perf:CPU_Busy:breached.

Volume Full

perf:nfs3_avg_op_latency:breached

6 REPLIES 6

hariprak

Please refer the document https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1242991

Thanks

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

DavidCao

I did not find the answer from that pdf. Then i asked the question here.

Does the unified manager poll all the inforamtin from the specific storage system and then analyzing it to know which is a event?

Like a  event filesystem is full. or when the filesystem is full, the storage system send this information to unified manager and show it on the GUI?  Which way is right? Thanks.  

DavidCao

do you use ems command in the storage system to send the event to the unified manager? but i did not find th command how to check the consumer ?

The Event Management System (EMS) collects event data from various parts of the ONTAP kernel and
provides a set of filtering and event forwarding mechanisms. EMS views three distinct entities:
An event producer recognizes the existence of an event and generates an event indication.
An event consumer describes events that it wants to receive based on filtering information within the
event indication (type of message, contents within message).
The EMS engine receives indications from event producers and forwards to event consumers based on
filtering descriptions.
EMS supports the following event consumers:
The logging consumer receives events from the engine and writes out event indication descriptions
using a generic text-based log format.
The syslog consumer receives events from the engine and forwards to the kernel syslog facility.
The SNMP trap consumer receives events from the engine and forwards to the kernel SNMP trap
generator.

DavidCao

i got a event Volume Growth Rate on the unified manager. but i did not find it in the /etc/log/ems file. Please help me out. Thanks.

hariprak

EMS events are not sent to Unified Manager, they are not integrated.

Unified Manager gathers all data from ontap during its refresh cycle and then decides based on thresholds you would have set whether its an event or not. The events are generated in UM server itself.

Thanks

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

DavidCao

do you know where i can setup the performance threshold like cpu busy, nfs timeout etc? i did not see it on the administraton - setup options - default threshold.

perf:CPU_Busy:breached.

Thanks

Public