Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

netapp harvest metrics vstorage

SrikanthReddy

for some of our filers we are seeing vstorage metrics but not for few other filers 

saw this option was off and turned it on 

nfs.vstorage.enable

nfs.vstorage.enable          on

restarted netapp-harvest service and not seeing vstorage metrics 

any other checks to collect these metrics ?

9 REPLIES 9

Sahana

Hi,

Please check KB https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1014234, see if it helps.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

SrikanthReddy
Sahana 
unable to open  KB link 
I am getting below ,I did login to my netapp account as customer 

Home Article Not Found

Article Not Found

The article was not found, is restricted to NetApp employees and partners, or is no longer available.

asulliva

Hello Srikanth,

It appears that the URL @Sahana provided has an erronous comma at the end. This link should work as expected.  The referenced KB article is "How to configure clustered Data ONTAP to allow for VAAI over NFS".

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

madden

Hi,

Harvest will automatically send vstorage related counters if they are incrementing.  For NFS in addition to enabling on the storage system you also need to install the NFS Plug-in for VMware VAAI on all your ESX hosts.  Check the downloads page of the NetApp Support website for the software and installation instructions.

Cheers,
Chris Madden

Storage Architect, NetApp EMEA (and author of Harvest)

Blog: It all begins with data

P.S.  Please select “Options” and then “Accept as Solution” if this response answered your question so that others will find it easily!

SrikanthReddy

Thanks for link ,we are having this issue on 7 mode filer

VAAI is installed and harvest is collecting vstorage metrics for other 7 mode filers but not for this on 7 mode filer 

do not see any errors in harverst logs 

these are on vfilers not the filer itself 

verified stats with

nfs vstorage stats

any other checks i could do to see what could be issue  

madden

Hi @SrikanthReddy,

I did some research and in a 7-mode vFiler environment the vstorage counters are tracked per vFiler (so multiple instances, one per vFiler) yet Harvest assumed there was only one instance.  So while vstorage counters work fine in a single vFiler environment if you have multiple vFilers the counters will basically overwrite each other because the metrics path didn't include vfiler name.  So the results displayed in Graphite  would be for whatever vFiler happened to be the last instance polled.

Thanks for reporting it and I will fix it in the next release of Harvest.

Cheers,
Chris Madden

P.S.  Please select “Options” and then “Accept as Solution” if this response answered your question so that others will find it easily!

SrikanthReddy

Thanks chris

we are not seeing vstorage metrics folder or stats  within vstorage folder ,

Tried to use vfiler itself to see if it works

created netappharvest account on vfiler enabled ssh and netappharvest group role access

Added new poller for vfiler ,and started new poller for vfiler

seeing below ,Assuming harvest script is not supported for vfiler  ,

[2016-01-14 11:50:10] [NORMAL ] WORKER STARTED [Version: 1.2.2] [Conf: netapp-harvest.conf] [Poller: ai-vfas5]
[2016-01-14 11:50:10] [NORMAL ] [main] Poller will monitor a [FILER] at [192.168.122.16:443]
[2016-01-14 11:50:10] [NORMAL ] [main] Poller will use [password] authentication with username [netappharvest] and password [**********]
[2016-01-14 11:50:10] [WARNING] [sysinfo] Update of system-info cache DOT Version failed with reason: in Zapi::invoke, cannot connect to socket
[2016-01-14 11:50:10] [WARNING] [main] system-info update failed; will try again in 10 seconds.
[2016-01-14 11:50:20] [WARNING] [sysinfo] Update of system-info cache DOT Version failed with reason: in Zapi::invoke, cannot connect to socket
[2016-01-14 11:50:20] [WARNING] [main] system-info update failed; will try again in 10 seconds.
[2016-01-14 11:50:30] [WARNING] [sysinfo] Update of system-info cache DOT Version failed with reason: in Zapi::invoke, cannot connect to socket

maartendeboer

At which netapp-harves version will this be fixed?

Because we have many vfiler, where whe want to have perf figures from.

And I've not seen vfiler metrics yet.

Regards, Maarten de Boer

madden

Hi @maartendeboer

In 7-mode most of the counter manager stats (volumes, protocol, flashcache, etc) are tracked at the physical filer level.  A few object types are however tracked at the vfiler level.  For counters in the default set I believe these are for CIFS authentication/VSCAN/FPOLICY stats and VAAI stats.  So in the Harvest 1.2.2 release in a vfiler environment some of these might be displayed for one vfiler only and is what I have fixed to be vfiler specific in the next release.  Until that time though you can still get benefit from Harvest because the vast majority of stats are not vfiler specific anyway.  Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Chris Madden

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO

Public