Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

"cm_storage.snapshot" table Missing from WFA Mysql DB?

lcoppitelli

Hi everyone,

i noticed today that the table "snapshot" seems to be missing from the database "cm_storage", as opposed to the "storage" (7-mode) DB. I'm i missing something?

I'm currently translating 7-mode DR workflows to C-Mode workflows and we use that table in order to select the correct snapshot from which i create clones for disaster recovery purposes...

storage.jpg                        cm_storage.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

abhit

http://community.netapp.com/t5/OnCommand-Storage-Management-Software-Articles-and-Resources/WFA-2-1-CM-Snapshot-support-with-Unified-Manager-6-0/ta-p/...

Please read this thread. Relevant for the later versions also.

If you are developing C-mode DR workflows, I would request you to look into 2 workflows.

1. Storage Virtual Machine config replication workflow. This is PS supported. You need to contact Professional Services.

This will copy the configurations to a SVM DR destination, but won't copy the data. This will work with 8.2.0 and WFA 3.0.

2. If you wait for a few more days, then you will get a bunch of SVM DR workflows which will work with ONTAP 8.2.1

and WFA 3.1 ( not released yet.. but waiting at the gate to be released by end of this month).

Let us know if you need any more clarifications.

Regards

Abhi

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

mbeattie

Hi,

You are correct, there is no snapmirror table in the WFA cm_storage database. I'd assume it will be included in a future release (although i'm not certain if or when this will be released).

For now we are limitied to using PowerShell within WFA commands using the CmdLet:

Get-NcSnapshot [[-Volume] <String[]>] [[-SnapName] <String[]>] [-Vserver <String[]>] [-Attributes <SnapshotInfo>] [-Controller <NcController[]>] [<CommonParameters>]

I recommend ensure an appropriate naming standard for you snapshots which enables you to easily determine which one to select (EG creating a snapshot by date). EG on the source your WFA command defines a naming prefix (by name) EG "flexclone" and suffix by date EG "2015-07-17" so your snapshot name is "flexclone.2015-07-17".

#'------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#'Check if the volume snapshot already exists on the source
#'------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[String]$SnapShotName = "$SnapShotPrefix.$SnapShotSuffix"
Try{
   $snapShot = Get-NcSnapShot -Volume $VolumeName -SnapName $SnapShotName -Vserver $VserverName -ErrorAction Stop
}Catch{
   Get-WFALogger -Error -Message $("Failed enumerating snapshot ""$SnapShotName"" on volume ""$VolumeName"" vserver ""$VserverName"". Error " + $_.Exception.Message)
   Throw "Failed enumerating snapshot ""$SnapShotName"" on volume ""$VolumeName"" vserver ""$VserverName"""
}
If($snapShot){
   Throw "The SnapShot ""$SnapShotName"" already exists on volume ""$VolumeName"" vserver ""$VserverName"""
}
#'Create the volume snapshot
Try{
   New-NcSnapshot -Volume $VolumeName -Snapshot $SnapShotName -Comment $SnapShotComment -VserverContext $VserverName -ErrorAction Stop
   Get-WFALogger -Info -Message "Created snapshot ""$SnapshotName"" on volume ""$VolumeName"" on vserver ""$VserverName"""
}Catch{
   Get-WFALogger -Error -Message $("Failed creating SnapShot ""$SnapShotName"" on volume ""$VolumeName"" on vserver ""$VserverName"". Error " + $_.Exception.Message)
   Throw "Failed creating SnapShot ""$SnapShotName"" on volume ""$VolumeName"" on vserver ""$VserverName"""
}

Once you've done a snapmirror update you can easily determine the parent snapshot name for the flexclone based on the date

#'Check if the parent snapshot exists
Try{
   $snapShot = Get-NcSnapShot -Volume $VolumeName -SnapName $ParentSnapShot -Vserver $VserverName -ErrorAction Stop
   Get-WFALogger -Info -Message "Enumerated snapshot ""$ParentSnapShot"" on volume ""$VolumeName"" vserver ""$VserverName"""
}Catch{
   Get-WFALogger -Error -Message $("Failed enumerating snapshot ""$SnapShotName"" on volume ""$VolumeName"" vserver ""$VserverName"". Error " + $_.Exception.Message)
   Throw "Failed enumerating snapshot ""$SnapShotName"" on volume ""$VolumeName"" vserver ""$VserverName"""
}
If(-Not($snapShot)){
   Throw "The SnapShot ""$SnapShotName"" does not exists on volume ""$VolumeName"" vserver ""$VserverName"""
}

Here is an MVEL function that will get the date in ISO format. You call it like this:

getIsoDate(1)

def getIsoDate(date){
   java.util.Calendar cal= java.util.Calendar.getInstance(java.util.Locale.getDefault()) ;
   java.text.SimpleDateFormat format = new java.text.SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-dd");
   isoDate =  format.format(cal.getTime());
   return isoDate;
}

I hope a snapmirror table is included in a future WFA release too...it certainly would make workflow development much easier.

Anyway hop that gives you some ideas how to work around it.

/matt

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

abhit

http://community.netapp.com/t5/OnCommand-Storage-Management-Software-Articles-and-Resources/WFA-2-1-CM-Snapshot-support-with-Unified-Manager-6-0/ta-p/...

Please read this thread. Relevant for the later versions also.

If you are developing C-mode DR workflows, I would request you to look into 2 workflows.

1. Storage Virtual Machine config replication workflow. This is PS supported. You need to contact Professional Services.

This will copy the configurations to a SVM DR destination, but won't copy the data. This will work with 8.2.0 and WFA 3.0.

2. If you wait for a few more days, then you will get a bunch of SVM DR workflows which will work with ONTAP 8.2.1

and WFA 3.1 ( not released yet.. but waiting at the gate to be released by end of this month).

Let us know if you need any more clarifications.

Regards

Abhi

lcoppitelli

Is that pack compatible with WFA 3.0 ? because that's seems to be exactly what i need.

I know about the SVMDR workflow coming out shortly, but unfortunately the SVMDR procedure is not really fit for all my SVM as the only method to bring online the DR is to break the snapmirror relationships.

What are we actually doing (for NFS svms) is snapmirror the volumes to a destination svm on a DR site, and flex-clone and re-export those volumes through WFA. this allows us to maintain an updated snapmirror replica, while having a test-DR environment up and running.

We are, however, gonna use the SVMDR functionality with the CIFS SVM, since it seems to be the only way to maintain the domain+shares configuration to a secondary SVM.

Many thanks!

abhit

Is that pack compatible with WFA 3.0 ? because that's seems to be exactly what i need.

[Abhi] Are you asking about "SVM Config Replication Workflow"? If it is, then the answer is Yes.

You need to get in touch with Professional Services to get the workflow.

If you are unable to get it, do let me know.

Regards

Abhi

lcoppitelli

No, i was asking about the pack you linked which should enable snapshot collection into the wfa db: DataSource_CMStorageAugment_v4.dar

abhit

Should work, though I have not tested it myself.

You need to try it once or you can ask in the thread.

Regards

Abhi

kiessl

Hi,

I need the snapshots from cDOT volumes in WFA3.1 in order to present them in input fields to users.

I know of the various threads about this topic but the suggested workaround does not work with WFA3.1

Is there a solution for WFA3.1?

Best Regards

Walter

abhit

What is the error you are getting with WFA 3.1?

Regards

Abhi

kiessl

Hi,

the error is: 

The version of .dar file used to import is 2.1.0.70.32. The supported WFA version from which a .dar file can be imported is 2.2 (V2.2.0.2.6) or later.
To use the data from this .dar file, import the .dar file to WFA 2.2 (V2.2.0.2.6) and then export a .dar file in that WFA version. You can then use the new .dar file for import in this WFA version.

I have no V2.2 available. Just V3.1

I added this comment to the discussion in the link you provided above.

BR

Walter

abhit

3.1 supports upgrades of packs from 2.2 onwards.

2.2 is available at:

http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/ocwfa/2.2/

3.0P1 at:

http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/ocwfa/3.0P1/

You have to follow a 2 step process.

1. Import the backup from 2.1 to 2.2 or 3.0.

2. Then take the back up again from 2.2 or 3.0. Import it in 3.1.

Regards

Abhi

kiessl

Hi Abhi,

thanks for the workaround.

But it is still a workaround. As it seems that the snapshot information will not show up in WFA in the next releases (a fact I can not understand at all) every customer has to follow this 2-way step. Wouldn't it be easier to provide this DAR for WFA3.1 to all users? Perhaps directly from NetApp? And verified that it is running for WFA3.1? Because it seems their responsibility to drop the snapshot information in the WFA database.

BR

Walter

abhit

That is a good suggestion.

We will bring it to product management's notice.

Regards

Abhi

Public