Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

resize primary volume and the mirrored volume

MPERIYAK

I am just starting my venture in WFA 2.1 and it seems exciting. 2 questions

should I know powershell programming to use WFA  

and

My first project is

if a vol reaches 90% full, increase by certain % and at the same time increase the corresponsing snapmirror target volume also by the same %

is this even possible. I dont see a canned workflow for this?

Muru

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kandati

Hi,

As I mentioned, once you select the ArrayIP then it will list only the primary volumes in it, the volumes which has mirror relationships. you can see the UserInput query which is listing it.

Are you facing the "unexpected error" consistently..?

1)in the resize volume can we just put the size increase we need instead of the target size

Ans: Yes, you can just provide the value like, +20 or -20

2)also can we check the aggregate free space before increasing the volume.

Ans: Yes, for that you have to enhance UserInput query, go to Workflow edit view-> Settings->UserInputs->double click on PrimaryVolume-> Click on "View or edit the SQL query" link, and replace with the below query.

select

storage.volume.name,

storage.volume.size_mb,

storage.aggregate.available_size_mb

from

storage.volume,

storage.array,

storage.vsm,

storage.aggregate

where

storage.array.id = storage.volume.array_id

AND storage.array.ip = '${PrimaryArrayIP}'

and storage.volume.id= storage.vsm.volume_id

and storage.aggregate.id = storage.volume.aggregate_id

GROUP by

storage.volume.name

This workflow currently not listing secondary volumes while filling the fields. But, we can do that also to list all the secondary volumes and their aggregates available capacity etc, for the selected PrimaryVolume..!

Warm Regards

Sivaprasad K

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

adaikkap

Hi Muru,

Starting Data ONTAP 8.2 this is taken care by turning on Autogrown on the Source and the VSM destination is grown or shrunk based on source.

Regards

adai

kandati

Hi,

Welcome to WFA

You really don't need be a skilled PowerShell programmer!! If you know basics of it that's more than enough to proceed, that to if you find a requirement of developing custom commands. But, these commands can be developed either in PowerShell or Perl..!

So far, most of our certified/canned commands are developed in PowerShell and couple of them are in Perl.

Now let's come to your 2nd question,

All the canned workflows are basically example workflows or sample workflows and these are just to give an idea on workflow designing, but some of them might be useful for day-day activities too.

For your requirement, you have to design a custom workflow using "Resize Volume" command.

To get to start with WFA, you can find many useful links/viedos in the community or in field portal,

https://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-22052

BTW, what ONTAP version you are using..!

Warm Regards

Sivaprasad K

MPERIYAK

Hello Sivaprasad,

Thanks for the answer and the video links. I have already watched a few of them. We use ONTAP ver 8.1.2 - 7 Mode

Also I tried resize volume and I am able to resize the primary volume. How I make this connection to the snapmirror target volume increase.

kandati

Hi

Please find the attached workflow.!

I wrote a filter/finder to list the VSM relationships of a volume. This workflow will list only the primary volumes to select, which has snapmirror relationships, and the same workflow can do re-sizes the TargetSize of both primary and all secondary volumes.!

You can modify it according to your requirement.!

Warm Regards

Sivaprasad K

MPERIYAK

Hello Sivaprasad

Thanks for the efforts. Much appreciated. I am still trying to figure out what you have done in this workflow. It is very overwhelming.
I tried to blindly run this workflow and this is what has been discovered

1) First I cant pull all the volumes in that filer when I choose the controller IP from the drop down. Only partial volume is listed. For a few controller IP's no volumes show onthe list. Very strange.
2) I choose a shown volume to me and put the target size and hit preview and it is successfull. When I hit execute it is failing with an error
Unexpected error occurred, please refresh the browser.
Error:
Uncaught Error: 0, Error, Unexpected phase 'Planning' and status 'Start Execution

Thanks for continuiung to help me out.

couple of more things

1)in the resize volume can we just put the size increase we need instead of the target size

kandati

Hi,

As I mentioned, once you select the ArrayIP then it will list only the primary volumes in it, the volumes which has mirror relationships. you can see the UserInput query which is listing it.

Are you facing the "unexpected error" consistently..?

Ans: Yes, you can just provide the value like, +20 or -20

Ans: Yes, for that you have to enhance UserInput query, go to Workflow edit view-> Settings->UserInputs->double click on PrimaryVolume-> Click on "View or edit the SQL query" link, and replace with the below query.

select

storage.volume.name,

storage.volume.size_mb,

storage.aggregate.available_size_mb

from

storage.volume,

storage.array,

storage.vsm,

storage.aggregate

where

storage.array.id = storage.volume.array_id

AND storage.array.ip = '${PrimaryArrayIP}'

and storage.volume.id= storage.vsm.volume_id

and storage.aggregate.id = storage.volume.aggregate_id

GROUP by

storage.volume.name

This workflow currently not listing secondary volumes while filling the fields. But, we can do that also to list all the secondary volumes and their aggregates available capacity etc, for the selected PrimaryVolume..!

Warm Regards

Sivaprasad K

MPERIYAK

Sivaprasad. Thanks again for keeping in check and helping me even though it is Friday . Much better results now. I understand now on the primary volumes and the aggr size is also showing up.

This time the unexpected error was gone. The execution ran succesfully too. Also I did out a +size value and it increased just that size.

One thing I noticed was

after the execution the primary source volume got changed to the new size. Perfect.

the destination still remained at the old size. I did a snapmirror update and then the destination changed to the new size. Is this normal ?

Also what happens for vfiler and the corresponding volumes which are in the same controller.

now I am going through the finder and filters etc to really understand the behind the scenes work involved.

regards

Muru

MPERIYAK

Also I tried this as a normal user other than admin. It worked successfully and got completed, but complained on an error. It looked like it aborted but when I checked in the backend it was good. How to stop this in the future.

kandati

Hi Muru,

Can I have the logs for failed job! you can download it from , Execution->Execution Status->double click on the failed job -> click on "Download Logs" button in the bottom of the window.

Warm Regards

Sivaprasad K

MPERIYAK

Hi Sivaprasad

I tried the workflow again. It started..gave me this error..

Unexpected error occurred, please refresh the browser.

Error:

Uncaught Error: 0, Error, Unexpected phase 'Planning' and status 'Start Execution'

I can see my workflow running and it executes successfully. Do you still need the logs..the job is not failing though.

kandati

Hi Muru,

This is a known issue in 2.1RC1 and the fix will be available in future WFA release. Your inconvenience is regretted..!!

Good to know that no job failure

Warm Regards

Sivaprasad K

MPERIYAK

Siva - Thanks for the answer. Can you kindly check your Private Message. I sent one. Reply when you get a chance.

Public