Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

vCenter Server collection failed

emueller

Hi all,

we`re in the middle of a POC with OCBalance.

We`re using Balance 4.1.0.1.

Everything works apart from the vCenter Server Discovery.

Customer is using 2 vCenter-Servers in 2 different Datacenters. Both vCenter Servers were entered for Discovery, LogIn (Credentials) are working.

All ESXi-Servers were detected successfully.

Problem is the Discovery for the VM`s. Balance discovers only 200VM`s out of 700VM`s.

I have following Error Message:

vCenter Server collection failed:

Command Execution Failed Virtual Center Discovery. Collection interrupted for (IP-Adress vCenter-Server).

Uncategorizied exception occurred during JMS processing nested exception is javax.jms.JMSException:java.io.IOException

Any Idea?

Thx in advance

Eric

7 REPLIES 7

dmilliro

Hello Eric,

I just have a few questions about your issue.

• Is the Discover Status for vCenter (Under Discovery-vCenter) showing a failed status?  How about the Statistics collections?
  • Where are you seeing the error listed above.
  • My other question would be around the resources behind the vCenter servers?  Do they have any performance issues that might prohibit Balance from getting the data back?
  • Last question, are servers missing from both vCenters?

Thanks, Daniel

emueller

Hi Daniel,

answers inline:

• Is the Discover Status for vCenter (Under Discovery-vCenter) showing a failed status?  How about the Statistics collections?
    •   In the Summary, i see:

Discovery Processing (the server will never come out of the state Processing)
                    Statistics OK

• Where are you seeing the error listed above.
    • Under Alerts -> vCenter Server collection failed -> Alert Details
  • My other question would be around the resources behind the vCenter servers?  Do they have any performance issues that might prohibit Balance from getting the data back?
    • Balance discovered 34 ESXi Servers; 10 virtual hosts in trouble (CPU-Util 71% and PI-Index between 80-93)
  • Last question, are servers missing from both vCenters?
    • Yes

Attached 3 Screenshots.

Any help welcome.

Thx

Eric

dbourque

Hi there,  can you tell me if these vm's were deployed using Vcloud Director?

Best regards,

Don Bourque

NetApp

dbourque

Also can you please indicate the vcenter version?  5.1, 5.0, 4.1?

Thanks,

Don

emueller

Hi,

Customer is Using vCenter 5.1; as far as i know, they don`t use vCloud Director (will ask the customer to be sure)

Regards

Eric

dbourque

Thanks, We may be seeing others in the field with a similar issue and using 5.1.

To fully understand the issue, there would need to be an engineering burt/jira opened to investaget further and the diagnostic logs woould need to be provided.  I would recommend capturing the diagnostic information .  See NetAppKB provided. https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1013064&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1316617241110

The next Balance version being released version 4.1.0.2 has some fixes in it for vcenter and NAS datastore stats.   Not sure if that applies for this issue but would be good to upgrade once its available in 2 weeks or so.

best regards,

Don Bourque

Netapp

emueller

Hi Don,

i will be onsite on sunday and will capture the recommended LOG`s

Thx

Eric

Update:

Hi,

i opened a case (2004189626, OC Balance vCenter Discovery Problem).

Customer is using vCenter 5.0, Customer doesn`t use vCloud Director.

LogFiles are attached to the Case

regards

Eric

Public