Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

vmware acquisition - data truncation error

stephen2

version 1.1.1

when acquiring from vcenter - get data truncation error: data too long for column "name" at row 1

Found errors in the wfa log (attached) but not sure what it means - error at end of file

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

yaronh

Hi Stephen/Jerome,

I managed to recreate the issue and to generate a fix for both 1.1/1.1.1 and 2.0. Attaching it here.

Usage:

1. Go to the “Tools” Top-left menu bar, and select “Backup & Restore”
  2. Select the applicable file from the attachments for restoration.
  3. Uncheck “Upgrade certified definitions” and press “Restore”
  4. Go to where you defined your data source (Under “Execution” -> ”Data sources”)
  5. Edit the data source and reset the scheme (“vc”). Save and return to data source list
  6. Right-click and select “Acquire Now”

Please let me know how that worked out.

Thanks,

Yaron

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

goodrum

I have run into this issue a few times and it is always a different cause.  The two most common for me

1. vCenter database contains unrecognized characters or bad data
  2. Duplicate names of datastores (typically the local VMFS datastore on the server) cause weird errors

It looks like the failure is due to getting Lun information

Caused by: com.netapp.wfa.util.SqlShellException: <localhost> Failed to load from 'C:\Program Files (x86)\NetApp\WFA\jboss\server\default\tmp\wfa\192.168.1.51-vc.lun-3443510657525740650.dump' into wfa_staging.vc_lun

at com.netapp.wfa.util.SqlShell.loadFromFile(SqlShell.java:215)

Also, are you using vCenter 4.x and not 5.x?

stephen2

I'm using VC 5.  Strange - I dont have any LUNs - just local datastores

What I am wonderingis, does this prevent all acquisition, or is it possible I am acquiring partial data. I dont know enough about WFA yet.

goodrum

Currently, WFA 1.1.1 only supports up to VC 4.1 so mileage may vary with VC 5.0.  This is suppose to be corrected soon... hopefully.

The local datastore is 'technically' a Lun (VMware ESX considers all VMFS type datastores as Luns including the local).  With that said, rename the local datastores to be unique and then try again. 

Yes, acquisition fails and rolls back to an empty set of cache tables. 

yaronh

Hi Jeremi, Stephen et all,

I believe that a short search in our community would dig up the following thread:

https://communities.netapp.com/message/89769#89769

It helped several of our users trying to cache from Vcenter and facing some lun-related issue.

Stephen, Please download the file attached in that thread and restore it on your system.

Kindly let us know whether it helped your issue or not.

Many thanks,

Yaron Haimsohn

WFA Team

yaronh

Hi Stephen,

Can you comment or confirm?

Thanks,

Yaron

blanchet

After download the file attached in  the thread https://communities.netapp.com/message/89769#89769 and restore it on our system and reset the vc cache we still have the same issue with vCenter 4.1.

stephen2

Restored and reset cache - still failing on acquire

stephen2

installed WFA 2.0 beta - getting same data trunc error

yaronh

Thanks Stephen,

This is a very important bit of information.

We would like to analyze this issue, as it may require an update to the queries due to some unforseen configuration settings.

We would like to get ASUP file from the machine.

Also, is the WFA machine internal? And the vcenter?

If so we would like to access them.

I will get in touch with you and Jerome ASAP for details.

Thanks for sharing this.

Yaron

yaronh

Hi Stephen/Jerome,

I managed to recreate the issue and to generate a fix for both 1.1/1.1.1 and 2.0. Attaching it here.

Usage:

1. Go to the “Tools” Top-left menu bar, and select “Backup & Restore”
  2. Select the applicable file from the attachments for restoration.
  3. Uncheck “Upgrade certified definitions” and press “Restore”
  4. Go to where you defined your data source (Under “Execution” -> ”Data sources”)
  5. Edit the data source and reset the scheme (“vc”). Save and return to data source list
  6. Right-click and select “Acquire Now”

Please let me know how that worked out.

Thanks,

Yaron

blanchet

Hi Yaron,

After applying the fix vc_lun_cache_update for WFA 1.1.1 . the issue has been fixed.

Thanks,

Jerome

Public