ONTAP Discussions

4 onboard FC ports to 2 SAN Switches

heightsnj

2 8060 filers with 4 FC ports on each node. what the connections to 2 SAN switches should look like? pls see the attached.

2 ports on each filer to 2 different switches should be good enough? then there will be 2 empty ports left on each filer, correct?

thanks for your help!

6 REPLIES 6

Sahana

Hi

Refer the image attached. Reference SAN Configuration Guide, Multifabric HA configurations on page 24

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

heightsnj

Hi , Thank you!

Could you please help me to explain what is the difference on the diagram I drew and the one you provided in which all 4 FC ports on the node will be used? What issues would it caused by using my diagram?

Looking forward to hear you again.

Sahana
In the recommended configuration, there are 2 connections from each controller to each switch. So it utilizes all 4 ports=2 connection x2 switches on a single controller. So you will have redundant connection to the switch also.
If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

heightsnj

Yeah, I noticed that.

In my diagram, if the connection to the switch got failed, the data could be alternated to the other fabric (switch), correct?

If yes, why would I need to have two connetions from the same node to the same switch? where would the single point failure be in my diagram? Or what is the disadvantage is with it?

Thank you!

heightsnj

Can somebody please help to answer my previous questions. Thank you!

Sahana

Your design does not have single point of failure. However with 2 connections to the same switch has higher redundancy.

Public