ONTAP Discussions

7MTT transition multiple 7-Mode source to single SVM - Request For Enhancement

buim

I’m testing the 7MTT v3.2 in preparation for 7mode Filer migration/consolidation.  Got this error when trying to create a 7MTT project to consolidate two 7-Mode Filers into one SVM at the same time.

"The tool does not allow the simultaneous consolidation of volumes from different 7-Mode sources to an SVM."

This means I would need to finish the cutover for first 7-Mode Filer before I can start on the second 7-Mode Filer to the same SMV.

The workaround is to run another instance of 7MTT on a different server.  For each 7MTT instance, you can only migrate from one source 7-Mode Filer to one SVM destination.  If you need to migrate multiple source 7-Mode Filer to the same SVM destination, you need to run another 7MTT on different Windows/Linux server.

This will be a headache to consolidation multiple volumes from 7-Mode sources to a single SMV.  Especially, with an application data residing on multiple 7-Mode Filers.

Request For Enhancement:

7MTT can run mulitple 7-Mode source volumes to same destination SVM.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SeanHatfield

It has that capability already, it's not enabled by default because doing that introduces a number of additional planning  considerations.

For more information, see this kb:

https://kb.netapp.com/support/s/article/ka21A0000000fyfQAA/faq-7mtt-copy-based-transition-consolidation-of-volumes-from-multiple-7-mode-storage-system...

Another alternative is to transition in parallel to 2 SVMs, then use volume rehost to consolidate SVMs on the cluster.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SeanHatfield

It has that capability already, it's not enabled by default because doing that introduces a number of additional planning  considerations.

For more information, see this kb:

https://kb.netapp.com/support/s/article/ka21A0000000fyfQAA/faq-7mtt-copy-based-transition-consolidation-of-volumes-from-multiple-7-mode-storage-system...

Another alternative is to transition in parallel to 2 SVMs, then use volume rehost to consolidate SVMs on the cluster.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

buim

Enabling parallel consolidation flag in the 7MTT conf file works great.  Exactly what I was looking for.  thanks.

WillFulmer

Thank you @SeanHatfield - Much appreciated!

PatrickR

Thanks Sean! This was a big help!

Public