ONTAP Discussions

ADP disk layout

Neil_Anderson

If I factory reset a small dual controller FAS system with Advanced Disk Partitioning enabled and 24 disks, 20 SATA and 4 SSD, what will the resulting layout be by default?

How will the disks be partitioned, what will be used for aggr0, what will be available for data aggregates and what is the best practice for spare disks?

Thanks very much for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sgrant

Hello, for the smaller FAS systems Root-Data Partitioning will be used, where each HDD will be split into 2 partitions, one small for the root aggregate and the other larger for the data aggregate(s). For an active/active configuration you will have 10 disks each, with one spare HDD for each node, giving 9 data partitions. The root partitions will be sized correctly by ONTAP to ensure sufficent capacity to create the root volume at the correct/recommended size.

Figure below gives an illustration, but does not include your SSD drives.

ADP

ONTAP® 9 Concepts: https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2615331 Page 11.

For the SSDs you will need to create a Storage Pool and allow SSD Flashpool partitioning, which will create 4 partitions per drive. This will allow up to 4 FlashPool aggregates. It will assign one single SSD spare for the entire system, giving 12 paritions.

SSD Partitioning

Disks and Aggregates Power Guide: https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2496263 Page 27

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Grant.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sgrant

Hello, for the smaller FAS systems Root-Data Partitioning will be used, where each HDD will be split into 2 partitions, one small for the root aggregate and the other larger for the data aggregate(s). For an active/active configuration you will have 10 disks each, with one spare HDD for each node, giving 9 data partitions. The root partitions will be sized correctly by ONTAP to ensure sufficent capacity to create the root volume at the correct/recommended size.

Figure below gives an illustration, but does not include your SSD drives.

ADP

ONTAP® 9 Concepts: https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2615331 Page 11.

For the SSDs you will need to create a Storage Pool and allow SSD Flashpool partitioning, which will create 4 partitions per drive. This will allow up to 4 FlashPool aggregates. It will assign one single SSD spare for the entire system, giving 12 paritions.

SSD Partitioning

Disks and Aggregates Power Guide: https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2496263 Page 27

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Grant.

Neil_Anderson

Awesome! Thanks very much Grant, really appreciate your help.

sanjay

Hi,

I have a NetApp FAS 2650 with 13 x 900GB Sata disk and 4X400 GB SSD. They are all configure RAID DP with ADP  in ONTAP 9.1 version. I am creating the data partitionon both controller, it is automatically takes one spare disks per aggr after configure zero spare disk.

I am facing a problem in Usable space in storage.

Base Capacity (Raw):10.48

Spares: 1.35 TB

Flash pool SSD: 1.09 TB

RAID Level: RAID DP

Usable Space  (TB): 4.27 TB

Flash Pool:1.09 TB

Aggregate Details: 1.Aggr1_Data01 =2.44 TB

2.Aggr2_Data02=1.83 TB

I want to kanow two things in same configuration

1.current configurationhow can i get the 5TB of usable space

2.Can i convert ADP Raid-dp to  raid in ADP configuration in production enviroments.

Kindly suggest.

sanjay

@Neil_Anderson wrote:

If I factory reset a small dual controller FAS system with Advanced Disk Partitioning enabled and 24 disks, 20 SATA and 4 SSD, what will the resulting layout be by default?

How will the disks be partitioned, what will be used for aggr0, what will be available for data aggregates and what is the best practice for spare disks?

Thanks very much for your help!

sgrant

Hi Sanjay,

The easiest way to achive 5TB would be to just create a single aggregate with one RAID group across all 13 disks. By having 2 very small aggregates you have 2 RAID groups which both consume 2 parity partitions. Unless you are hosting multi-tennancy and need the physical division between the aggregates, a single aggregate means more data spindles, larger stripe size and all data now benefits from the Flash Pool. You would need to delete one aggregate then ensure the RAID group size was >13 and expand the remaining aggregate with all the partitions from the deleted aggregate as data partitions.

I do not beleive it is possible to use RAID 4 since it would almost never be recommended Production aggregates.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Grant.

Public