ONTAP Discussions

Adding OSSV Protection Policy to DataSet uses entire aggregate when provisioning storage automatically

chadmaupin

Hello,

I am trying to setup an OSSV backup within Protection Manager (latest version).  I've added the OSSV host into Protection Manager, created the dataset and setup a schedule.  When I try to add the protection policy to the dataset though, I run into problems.  The issue comes when I need to assign a resource for the backups to use.  I am trying to use the Assign Resourse Automatically option.  I choose the aggregate I want to use with no problem but when I get to the summary/conformance check page, it says it is going to create a volume the same size as my aggregate.  Obviously this won't work because there are other volumes already on my aggregate so it errors out.

Anyone have an idea how to fix this?

thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kjag

This is by design. By default protection manager creates the volume size equal to aggregate size with "None" guarantee. The error message might be coming because of "Aggregate Overcommit".

Also DynamicSecondarySizing options is not supported for OSSV.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

lovik_netapp

By nature PM creates secondary volume equal to aggregate's size but it's always with guarantee 'none' and once snapmirror relation is in initializing state secondary volume inherits the size of primary volume, it's just to avoid frequent resize of secondary in the event you resize primary volume.

At first glance it's concerning however I am not sure why it's erroring out, can you please provide the actual error details as it shouldn't error out as long as you have free space on secondary equal to parimary volume.

fenton

You can also use the DynamicSecondarySizing feature in Protection Manager which sizes the secondary volume to a more reasonable size and resizes on new updates... more information is available here:

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/DFM_win/rel381/html/software/protect/planning/concept/c_nmc_plan_wkflow-whatsnew-volsizing.html

This was introduced in 3.8 but if you upgraded from an earlier version then the change would have been enabled unless you changed the dfm option

kjag

This is by design. By default protection manager creates the volume size equal to aggregate size with "None" guarantee. The error message might be coming because of "Aggregate Overcommit".

Also DynamicSecondarySizing options is not supported for OSSV.

Public