ONTAP Discussions

After a new LINUX installation, the old storage LUNs presented?

netappmagic

After installed REDHAT OS on a used to be ESX host, we still can see the old storage LUNs, in addtion to the new NetApp LUNs.

It could be caused by the same WWPN number on the same HBA card, and the old zone on SAN switch is till active. Please confirm if it could be the cause, or any other courses you can think of?

One way to resolve it is to remove WWPN from old zoning configuration on the switch. My question is, is there anything I can do on the host, to comopletely deconfigure these old LUNs?

Thank you for sharing!

2 REPLIES 2

mhelmer

Are you presenting LUNs from multiple storage systems? If the old LUNs were not removed from an existing VMware igroup with this hosts WWPN's then yes the most probable cause is reminant zone(s) and/or igroup configuration.

If you are intending to use a different storage system with this new Linux installation I would remove the igroup configuration from the old storage system and remove the zoning to that system.

If you are intending to use different LUNs from the same system then you only need to remove the WWPN's from the VMware igroup or if the igroup is not being used by other initiators remove the old igroup configuration.

mikkisse

Hello!

It's normal situation, that your new system can see old luns.  The best way to solve your problem is unmap unused luns from your storage. 

There is some ways to delete luns from Linux, but i think this is not a good choice:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Online_Storage_Reconfiguration_Guide/removing_devices.html

Public