ONTAP Discussions

Any way to delete big file from NAS volume without update snapshot

igor_karasik

Hi,

I am looking for any way to delete big file from NAS volume without update snapshot -  i.e.  delete file like "Shift-Delete" option in Windows

Sometimes we have big files and we want to delete them and don't want that this file will appear in snapshot (just to save space in snapshots)

Thanks,

Igor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

radek_kubka

That's not doable - NetApp snapshot is a read-only, point-in-time copy of your file system.

Also, deleting a file from live file system causes the existing snapshot to grow, as it means creating a change (snapshot size is an equivalent of block-level changes).

Regards,

Radek

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

lagenevoise

Hi Igor,

If the file is present only in AFS, it's possible

however is the file is allready in a SnapShot from my point of view if the file is deleted, the Snapshot size is not realy impacted, because the bloc witch are used by the file are allready calculeted in a previous backup.

Regards,

CGA

radek_kubka

That's not doable - NetApp snapshot is a read-only, point-in-time copy of your file system.

Also, deleting a file from live file system causes the existing snapshot to grow, as it means creating a change (snapshot size is an equivalent of block-level changes).

Regards,

Radek

igor_karasik

>>deleting a file from live file system causes the existing snapshot to grow, as it means creating a change (snapshot size is an equivalent of block-level changes).

Yes, I know 😞   That is the reason I asked the this question

Thanks

Public