ONTAP Discussions

Average Lattency

saranraj456

Hi Frndz,

We have a weird situation, where the LUN read IOPS-1400,write IOPS -100 ,Lattency -45 ms.Is this lattency only depends on storage side any thing to be done on the application end (oracle database).

Regards,

Saran

5 REPLIES 5

HENRYPAN2

Saran,

You may wish to install Balance from NetApp to find out which element is causing such a high latency.

Good luck

Henry

radek_kubka

Where is this latency being reported - on a storage side, or on a host side?

Regards,

Radek

saranraj456

Yes, the lattency i mean here is on storage end. however i just want to know is there by any chance this lattency been caused by application

Saran

radek_kubka

Well, you can say latency is caused by an app, as this is the app requesting certain blocks of data within given timeframe. Latency tells us how well storage copes with these requests.

Normally you have two choices:

- add more spindles, so storage can respond quicker against the same number of IOPS

- optimise the app, so it generates less IOPS

(The latter option normally triggers aggression when proposed to app developers 😉

vladimirzhigulin

Is Balance capable of monitoring latency from host prospective?

I encountered this couple of times when filer itself looks idle and "all green", however a host attached to the filer experiences high latency and disk utilization. And there is a clear discrepancy in what the filer and the host report.

Vladimir

Public