ONTAP Discussions

Backing up SMEX Snapshots to Tape

israelmmi

We are looking to backup SMEX snapshots to tape via NDMP. As part of the Best Practices design for Exchange 2010, we store our Tx logs and SnapInfo directory on the same LUN. When I look at the snapshot list of the Log/SnapInfo volume, I see that as part of a single SMEX backup job there are two snapshots created (see attachment). The time difference between the two is quite minute, but there is a difference nonetheless.

When backing up to tape, can we just backup the latest snap of the two, or do we need to backup both, and if so, why?

Thanks,

Reuvy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

spence

SME 6.0.2 Admin Guide, Page 123, also page 247.

Short answer is you should use the exchsnap__xxxx snapshot. You could use the eloginfo but the database and log snapshot times would not be the same.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

crocker

Hi,

Since you have not gotten an answer, you may want to ask this question in the NetApp Support Community.  The current customers, partners and internal Subject Matter Experts are addressing technical product questions there.

Mike

spence

SME 6.0.2 Admin Guide, Page 123, also page 247.

Short answer is you should use the exchsnap__xxxx snapshot. You could use the eloginfo but the database and log snapshot times would not be the same.

israelmmi

Thanks Spence.

Is there a "long answer" that you could direct me to so that I can feel more secured? Could you also let me know exactly what you are referring to on page 247 because I wasn't able to find the reference.

Thanks,

Reuvy

Public