ONTAP Discussions

Base Snapshot of Volume

syedkhan

Hello,

I have Snapmanager for exchange and my backup are working good but and show consistent. Last few days back one of my coleague deleted lot of snapshot copies manually ro reclaim the space of volume, I am afraid if we deleted the base snapshot.

how do I know the base snapshot is in good health.

Also in snap drive I see snapshots with only GUIDS  please see the attached what are those ??  becasue the usual snapshots are with generic name and date 

2 REPLIES 2

GidonMarcus

Hi.

For SME if you have any "full backup" - that's means you have a recoverable backup. and you can take a new one at any time.

See on page 29 for backup types: https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2843507

The term "base snapshot" usually refer to snapmirror/snapvault. Depend on you ONTAP OS you can display your base snapshot using snapmirror show, or snapvault status command.   and if your SV/SM worked after the deletion - That means your base snapshots are safe.

The GUID snapshot show's in SDW means snapshot's that are not OS consistent (usually means taken directly on the filer -  without of SME/SDW).

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

syedkhan

Please see the attached which shows me that its in the consistent state. Can I delte them ? as its huge and taking lot of space and after delteing them what problem will I get ? 

Public