ONTAP Discussions

Baseline transfer via lrep

satheesh1

Hi All,

Greetings. I've 4 Tb of data in 3 FAS 250 in a remote office which I'm planning send the baseline transfer via lrep. Does anybody recommendation/best practise and suggestions for this

Mc Satty

10 REPLIES 10

scottgelb

LREP is used for SnapVault (open systems and netapp primary) baselining.  There is (haven't checked latest version to confirm though) an option for Qtree SnapMirror or QSM as well.  LREP does not handle volume snapmirror or VSM.  With FAS250's it is only a single shelf system so your options are limited for VSM  to mirroring side-by-side to baseline then ship the unit or to baseline to tape (snapmirror store).

Typically, for volume SnapMirror initialization we:

1. Connect shelves to the system and mirror volume to volume on the same controller, then remove the shelves (shutdown for support) and ship to the destination site. (not an option with FAS250s since you can't add a shelf to a 250)
  2. Mirror fas to fas locally (2 controllers each with their own shelves), then ship the target fas with shelves to the destination site.
  3. SnapMirror to Tape

satheesh1

Hi Scott

Thanks for your response.  We are NOT using VSM/QSM. We are a SV shop. I need to do a SV relationship, some how dump the baseline transfer to Tape and ship it 4k miles away to a datacenter in the headoffice.

Do you have any suggestions on dumping the SV baseline to tape

Satty

scottgelb

LREP writes to disk...we usually connect a USB drive and let it create multiple 2GB files on it... I would use a 1 or 2TB usb drive then ship the drive and lrep write on the target.. if you need to use tape, I guess you could dump the files on the usb drive to tape then restore them to disk on the target then run lrep write.. but that adds 2 extra steps and a lot of time.  Is it a security thing where you can't ship a usb drive that can hold the qtree data?

satheesh1

I can encrupt the data using lrep -e option. How reliable are USB drives. I've to ship across the continent.

Mc Satty

satheesh1

Last time I used this lrep was 5 yrs ago. That time there are NO 1TB USB drives. I used tapes to ship the baseline transfers. Now with the higher capacity USB drives out in the market, I could make use of yhem. I'm still thinking about Reliability

gdekhayser

I recently had a customer use 1TB USB drives with no issue at all, used the technique to baseline over 14 sites.  Just make sure you pack them well, and when you remove them from the system you run LREP on, use the windows "remove safely" tool or you will likely end up with corrupt archive files.

itdatacenter

Hello, I am trying to create a baseline via LREP_reader from a PRIMARY SNAPVAULT netapp to a network path, but is seems to be working only if I specify a Qtree path. Have some of you ever used LREP_reader for creating a baseline for an entire volume? Thank you. Paolo

bwood

The lrep_reader syntax calls for primary qtree path.

itdatacenter

Thank you bwood.

Considering this, my problem now is different: do you know if it is possible to associate to an existing volume a Qtree (without compromise stored data)? If "yes", do you know how to do it?

This is because I want to create a baseline, via LREP_reader, at the volume level....or isn't it possible at all?

Thank you again!

josm

Do you have enough free space to create another volume with a qtree inside of it large enough to copy all of your volume into? 

Public