ONTAP Discussions

CDot GIDs empty

oweinmann

Hi,

I'm currently trying to migrate from 7Mode to CDot using 7MTT. After a few problems with 7MTT I'm now finally able to successfully initiate a cut over. After the cut over accessing files / folders with Unix security is not working as expected. If a user is not the owner of a file / folder he is not able to access it from windows using CIFS. I assume the problem is related to the filer not being able to pull the GIDs of a User from AD:

secd authentication show-creds -node GEDASAN-02 -vserver Corporate -win-name tuser

UNIX UID: tuser <> Windows User: A\tuser (Domain User)

GID: Domain Users

Supplementary GIDs: <None>

Windows Membership:

A\Up ATEST De_Dt Da Lg (Alias)

A\Up ATEST De_Dt Da Ug (Domain group)

User is also a member of Everyone, Authenticated Users, and Network Users

Privileges (0x80):

I guess the 7MTT should have transferred my options.ldap but something seems to be missing for the GIDs...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

oweinmann

Ok, I turned down the life-time of secd caches to 60 seconds and now it works. Also usernames should be lowercase!

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33

parisi

FYI, filed bug 850198 for the name mapping taking precedence over export policy rules. I suggest opening a case and having your case tied to that bug to show customer impact.

Engineering will decide whether this is truly a bug or simply working as designed.

parisi

Actually, there is already bug 846560 for this issue. And it's fixed in a future release.

oweinmann

Thanks for that. I noticed another strange behaviour. I have now setup a windows group with unix members and I'm able to see the group membership on the cdot filer:

GEDASAN::*> secd authentication show-creds -node GEDASAN-02 -vserver Corporate -unix-user-name oweinmann

UNIX UID: oweinmann <> Windows User: A\oweinmann (Domain User)

Supplementary GIDs:

Up NETAPPTESTMIG de_dt Da Lg

Up YTEST de_dt Da Lg

GEDASAN::*> secd authentication show-creds -node GEDASAN-02 -vserver Corporate -win-name oweinmann

UNIX UID: oweinmann <> Windows User: A\oweinmann (Domain User)

Supplementary GIDs:

Up NETAPPTESTMIG de_dt Da Lg

Up YTEST de_dt Da Lg

When I ran the command yesterday the newly added group "Up YTEST de_dt Da Lg" only showed up when looking up "unix-name" but not "win-name". I guess I have to change the cache lifetime. But I'm not sure which one to change. Under 7Mode there was just the wcc credentials cache setting to control it.

secd cache show-config -node ...

When I try to access a folder with unix permissions via CIFS I get a permission denied. The permissions on that folder allow the members of the group "Up YTEST de_dt Da Lg" full access and I'm a member of that group. I can access it via NFS but not via CIFS. Is there an additional setting for this? I have no user mappings defined as the default ones are just fine.

oweinmann

Ok, it seems that this behaviour is also controlled by an option under 7Mode:

cifs.perm_check_use_gid

On our systems this is off, but it is overruled by the setting:

cifs.nfs_root_ignore_acl

Both settings are not available under CDOT. I can't believe this...

oweinmann

Ok, I logged off from my windows host and after logging in again the access works. My group membership was not updated. The option "cifs.perm_check_use_gid" is not really required under CDot as it checks group memberships by default if the user was successfully mapped. It was just that my users group membership wasn't updated in my running windows session.

But I'm still struggling to have the cache cleared. Just added another user to the unix groups and it only gets listed when resolving unix-username. I cleared all possible caches, even the nblade cache. Is there another cache?

Best Regards,

Oliver

oweinmann

Ok, I turned down the life-time of secd caches to 60 seconds and now it works. Also usernames should be lowercase!

lourenco_dany

hi,

do you have any updates on how to configure vintela authentication service on CDOT 8.3 ? with the rfc2307bis ?

thanks in advance.

bsnyder27

I'll also be interested at some point in having such documentation available.  That point in time appears to be when we upgrade to 8.3 which will certainly be sometime after the GA release.

It's good to see that according to bug 675476, 8.3 will indeed include support for the RFC 2307bis schema.

Should we just expect TR-4073 to be updated to reflect?  I'm mainly looking for information on how we can transition from our current setup using most settings from AD-IDMU schema.

lourenco_dany
Hi,

I've tested 8.3RC1, and it seems to included this rfc2307bis. The configuration is the same as the kb available on support.netapp.com.
It works pretty well.

Regards

oweinmann

Hi,

can you please explain how you got the rfc2307 working? Because on our system it is just not working as expected. Running a lookup on a user shows no additional GIDs:

GEDASAN::*> diag secd authentication show-creds -node GEDASAN-02 -vserver Corporate -unix-user-name tuser

UNIX UID: tuser <> Windows User: A\tuser (Windows Domain User)

GID: 10000
 Supplementary GIDs:

So accessing a file with unix permissions from windows fails....

oweinmann

Ok, seems to be a caching problem. If I change the group membership of a user it is immediately reflected on our old 7-Mode System, but not on the new CDot System. What cache do I need to change to have it updated quicker?

bsnyder27

I'm not sure which particular one(s) trigger(s) it, but here are the ones I clear that do the trick.

diag secd cache clear -node <node> -vserver <vserver> -cache-name ldap-XXXXXXX

1. ldap-groupname-to-id
  2. ldap-userid-to-creds
  3. ldap-userid-to-name
  4. ldap-username-to-creds

oweinmann

Thanks. I figured it goes quicker if I change an attribute of the ldap client schema back and forth. I noticed the problem with RFC2307BIS implementation on CDOT is that is not able to retrieve Unix enabled groups of a user which are nested.

e.g.

We have global / universal groups containing the users and local groups containing the global / universal group:

User 1 -> Group A universal -> no GID

Group A local ->Group A universal - > GID 10001

If the universal group A has no GID the local group A will not be listed by:

set -privilege diag

diag secd authentication show-creds -node Node-01 -vserver CIFS -unix-user-name tuser

This only causes problems when using NFSv(3/4) and Kerberos security... I thought, but under CDOT, this also causes problems when accessing files with unix security via CIFS. We use winbind and this is well capable of listing a users groups even if only the local group has a GID. In NetApp TR 4073 http://www.netapp.com/us/media/tr-4073.pdf sssd daemon is used instead of winbind. I haven't tested it yet, but I assume sssd is also capable of doing that. The reason for not wanting too many GIDs is that there are limitations in NFS for group memberships:

sec = sys = 16 groups

sec = krb5 = 32 groups?

Our users are in many groups as they have to work on many different projects. The only workaround so far is to add the users to the memberUid ldap attribute with a small Powershell script. The script takes 10-15 minutes for 3000+ groups.

Strangely on our old 7Mode system the behaviour is a bit different. The groups are also not listed, but the users can access files with unix security if they are member of the group in AD.

Public