ONTAP Discussions

CIFS file open Problem with Windows 7 and Notepad

LUKASPRELOVSKY

Hi community,

I moved all Files, which are placed on a NTFS Voume / CIFS Share from a VFILER-A (running with ONTAP 8.2.3P2 7-Mode) with RoboCopy (with all Permissions) to VFILER-B (running with ONTAP 8.2.4P1 7-Mode).

The Configuration, Settings and Options on both vFilers are identical.

My current Problem is, when I'm trying to open a "plain-text" file with Notepad on a Windows 7 Client -> I'm getting an error: The specified server cannot perform the requested operation

When I open the same file with Notepad++ or on a Windows 8 Client r Windows Server 2012, it's working.

Client pktt's are telling me, that the file cannot be found, when I try to open it with Notepad on Windows 7 Client.

When I open the same file from VFILER-A, it's working without any Problems.

I don't use SMB 2.1 just SMB 2.0

Do you have an idea ?

Thank you & BR,
Lukas

Best Regards,
Lukas
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

LUKASPRELOVSKY

Hi all,

after ONTAP Update from 8.2.4P1 to 8.2.4P3 is it working well. My Problem is also fixed.

Br,

Lukas

Best Regards,
Lukas

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Jeff_Yao

hi, lukas

just try to help here. all win7 clients have the same issue or just that one you tested. you mentioned "When I open the same file with Notepad++ or on a Windows 8 Client r Windows Server 2012, it's working." do you mean "notepad++ on win7 is ok"? how about notepad in win8/win2012? 

in general there's cifs troubleshooting kb 1012773.

thanks 

jeff

LUKASPRELOVSKY

Hi all,

after ONTAP Update from 8.2.4P1 to 8.2.4P3 is it working well. My Problem is also fixed.

Br,

Lukas

Best Regards,
Lukas
Public