ONTAP Discussions

Can I Resize Storage after A-SIS on a Flexible volume?

davidc5260

I have a CIFS Flexible volume reaching 90% used capacity.  This one is also on a snapshot schedule.  I'm interested in regaining storage space.  So, after turning on and running A-SIS on this volume, could I "Resize Storage" on this volume to regain disk space?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

adamfox

It is unclear to me whether you meant enlarge the volume or to shrink the volume to reclaim the space you saved from dedup.

You can certainly shrink the volume.  You can also enlarge the volume up to the dedup limit of the platform.  The higher-end platforms don't have a limit (i.e. they are the same as the maximum volume size), but be careful growing deduped volumes on the lower-end platforms.

Hope this helps.

davidc5260

I have a FAS3020c environment and what I want to do is shrink the volume to reclaim the space saved from dedup and give back the aggregate additional disk space for new volume creations.

Thanks!

radek_kubka

Bear in mind that you may be disappointed with the outcome of de-duplication when running this for a first time on a volume with existing snapshot(s).

In essence the free space won't be reclaimed / shown until the legacy (pre-de-dupe) snapshots exist - de-duped blocks are treated like a change, hence snapshot(s) will keep track of them, effectively growing by exactly the same size as your de-dupe saving.

See this "de-dupe bible" for more details:

http://www.netapp.com/us/library/technical-reports/tr-3505.html

Regards,
Radek

peluso

FYI -- Carlos Alvarez (he wrote the doc you just mentioned) will be one of our panel experts during an upcoming community Ask the Expert event June 22-26 focused on deduplication within a SAN environment.  It's really a weeklong discussion with experts.  It's nice because you will have their full attention so questions will get answered more quickly than usual by a dedicated panel. I'll be posting more information over the next week....if you have topics we should cover, let me know.

Terri

Thanks so much!
Terri Peluso
Senior Community Program Manager

amiller_1

Wonderful....glad to hear there's another "Ask the Experts" event coming.

mickehoe123

You must also consider the version on OnTap on the 3020. Prior to 7.3.1 the De-Dupe limit is 1TB but doubles to 2TB in 7.3.1

However 7.3.1 is only in GA and not GD yet.

Otherwise you a free to increase the volumes with De-Dupe enabled within the limits specified.

HTH

Michael.

Public