ONTAP Discussions

Can I rename the filer without losing the data?

VIRTUAL_DAL

Hi,

I am migrating data from a netapp filer to a windows server in a different  country (same domain). I plan to change the name of the new server to the name of the filer when i switch over but I would like to leave the filer on the network in case any files have been missed. The filer is joined to an active directory domain.

Is there a way I can rename the filer (locally and in the domain) without losing data.

Thanks

Darren

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

changing the FAS hostname "hostname" command manually and in /etc/rc and changing the AD computer account "cifs terminate" then "cifs setup" won't lose any data.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

scottgelb

changing the FAS hostname "hostname" command manually and in /etc/rc and changing the AD computer account "cifs terminate" then "cifs setup" won't lose any data.

VIRTUAL_DAL

Great, thanks for the quick response, I will start looking up the commands

VAJJARAPU

Hi, What happens if we use options cifs.netbios.aliases instead of CIFS setup.. while renaming any filer..?

My Intention is to access cifs shares using alias name but not to disturb the actual configuration, the steps i am going to follow are

1) Terminate CIFS shares using CIFS terminate

2) Take a snapshot for Vol0.

3) Change the IP address and hostnames in /etc/rc & /etc/hosts files to have the changes persistent.

4) Create NetBIOS alias on netapp box, to accept the connections via xyg.internet.net.

COMMAND : options cifs.netbios.aliases xyz.internet.net 

cifs nbalias load to get the aliasname registered.

5) run CIFS restart ON xyg.internet.net.

Will this help ?

Public