ONTAP Discussions

Changing ifgrp from multimode to multimode_lacp

ACHOU_SIMG

Hi,

ONTAP 9.1

FAS8020

I currently have an ifgrp running in 'multimode' mode but would like to working with the network team on changing it to 'multimode_lacp.' However, on the NetApp side, I don't see a way to modify. Do I have to delete the ifgrp and recreate with 'multimode_lacp?"

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Naveenpusuluru

Hi @ACHOU_SIMG

You have to delete the ifgroup inorder to change the mode. There is no option to change the igroup mode. As ifgroups are in broadcast domain and they have lifs, you were not able to change them. Please use the below process in order to change them.

1. Delete the lif

Network interface delete -vserver svm1 -lif lif1

2. Remove the ifgroup from broadcast domain

network port broadcast-domain remove-ports -broadcast-domain Data -ports node-01:a0a -ipspace Default

3. Remove the physical ports from broadcast domain.

network port ifgrp remove-port -node node01 -ifgrp a0a -port e0c

4. Delete the ifgroup

network port ifgrp delete -node node-01 -ifgrp a0a

Now you have to create a new ifgroup.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Sahana

Hi,

Recreate the ifgrp group. Refer http://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-cm-cmpr-910%2Fnetwork__port__ifgrp__create.html

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

Naveenpusuluru

Hi @ACHOU_SIMG

You have to delete the ifgroup inorder to change the mode. There is no option to change the igroup mode. As ifgroups are in broadcast domain and they have lifs, you were not able to change them. Please use the below process in order to change them.

1. Delete the lif

Network interface delete -vserver svm1 -lif lif1

2. Remove the ifgroup from broadcast domain

network port broadcast-domain remove-ports -broadcast-domain Data -ports node-01:a0a -ipspace Default

3. Remove the physical ports from broadcast domain.

network port ifgrp remove-port -node node01 -ifgrp a0a -port e0c

4. Delete the ifgroup

network port ifgrp delete -node node-01 -ifgrp a0a

Now you have to create a new ifgroup.

SeanHatfield

Generally you don't need to delete the lif.  Just move it to another port in the same broadcast domain, say for example, the HA partner.  Move it back when you're done, then go on to the next node. 

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

rajesharumugam

Hi sean,

I have same issue of one of my customer they have NFS mounted volumes on that vif group. They want to change from multimode to Single mode. I have raised ticket with Netapp they suggested below

"As discussed over call, we have to first delete the multi-mode vif  and then create a single mode vif  and add require ports.

The activity is requires a maintenance window"

kindly suggest me how do i do without downtime .

Public