ONTAP Discussions

Cifs Setup for Vfiler Incorrectly Duplication Machine Name in DNS Address Space

gibsonc390

I have been troubleshooting a issue with a inhouse script we use to create Cifs shares for our user personal directories. I am using Vfilers  as  fileservers for my sites which are in a Windows 2008 R2 Functional level Active Directory. When I run CIFS Setup in a Vfiler it is duplicating the DNS name of the vfiler in the DNS address space. I am running Data Ontap 8.1 7-mode. Can anyone help me with this issue?  See illustrations below

1) In active directory container I manually create the computer object for the vfiler

2) After going through Cifs Setup on vFiler and which I select use existing active directory computer object somewhere in the process the computer name is getting duplicated (I removed our domain name for security purposes) in the DNS name attribute.

Does anyone have any ideal of why this is happening? Where might I go to try and troubleshoot this?

I appreciate the help.

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

gibsonc390

Martin i was manually created the AD account to try an isolate when and what was populating the duplicate DNS attributes. I found that there was no difference between manually creating the AD acount or letting Cifs Setup creates the account. The script is not relevant as we run it later in the process to create the folder under  a shared folder on the vfiler. At the the time of Cifs Setup is register the DNS entries is when the duplacted name is being poplulated. So in responce to Francois I checked the Options dns.update.enable on both the Filer and Vfiler. They did not match the filer was set to on "ON" while the Vfiler was set to "secure". I changed the filer to "secure" and will experiment.

Ok it turned out to be a rockie mistake on my part. During  vfiler setup  i made the mistake of using the fully qualified domain name in the  section where i was only suppose to provide domain name. So the vfiler was doing exactly what I told it to do? Garbage in Garbage out! Thanks both of you for assisting.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

francoisbnc

Hi Chris,

Take a look on "options dns.update.enable" in vfiler context              

francois

martin_fisher

Hi Chris - why is the computer account created manually in AD. Normally as part of the CIFS setup process, the process joins the vFiler to the domain and creates a Computer Account itself.

Have you tried this first? Could there be a typo in the DNS name if the script is used?

Martin

gibsonc390

Martin i was manually created the AD account to try an isolate when and what was populating the duplicate DNS attributes. I found that there was no difference between manually creating the AD acount or letting Cifs Setup creates the account. The script is not relevant as we run it later in the process to create the folder under  a shared folder on the vfiler. At the the time of Cifs Setup is register the DNS entries is when the duplacted name is being poplulated. So in responce to Francois I checked the Options dns.update.enable on both the Filer and Vfiler. They did not match the filer was set to on "ON" while the Vfiler was set to "secure". I changed the filer to "secure" and will experiment.

Ok it turned out to be a rockie mistake on my part. During  vfiler setup  i made the mistake of using the fully qualified domain name in the  section where i was only suppose to provide domain name. So the vfiler was doing exactly what I told it to do? Garbage in Garbage out! Thanks both of you for assisting.

Public