ONTAP Discussions

Cluster failover

saranraj456

Hi,

What kind of risks and impact are there, while the filer is in cluster failover mode?

And also,how long the another filer can sustain in this scenario?

Regards,

Saran

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

Loss of redundancy (i.e. failure protection) and decreased resources (i.e. possible performance impact). What answer did you expect? ☺

I am not sure I really understand the second question. You can run in takeover mode indefinitely if you like; nothing in filer will force you to do giveback.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

aborzenkov

Loss of redundancy (i.e. failure protection) and decreased resources (i.e. possible performance impact). What answer did you expect? ☺

I am not sure I really understand the second question. You can run in takeover mode indefinitely if you like; nothing in filer will force you to do giveback.

saranraj456

Thanks!

I mean the same answer.

for the second question , how many hours the controller wil work in a failover mode.(since the IOPS and processing will b more)?

IS there any timeline for that?

shaunjurr

"Asked and answered"

The cluster will work in failover mode until some failure stops it from working.

aborzenkov

I am not aware of any inherent limitation for working in failover mode. And best practice is to size your solution so that one controller can handle combined load.

Public