ONTAP Discussions

Cluster setup wizard via console

Mohammad_wani

Hi,

I am not getting a cluster setup wizard via console port on netapp affa300 controller.

I am getting below boot modes which i am not able to get past.

i have only connected a controller with my laptop via console.

i tried to run all these boot modes, but not getting past them.

any suggestions?

(1) Normal Boot.
(2) Boot without /etc/rc.
(3) Change password.
(4) Clean configuration and initialize all disks.
(5) Maintenance mode boot.
(6) Update flash from backup config.
(7) Install new software first.
(8) Reboot node.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GidonMarcus

Hi

You have to have the shelves connected via SAS in order to do the install. it will have to use a few disks (or disk partitions) from the shelves for vol0 (stores the node config).

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

GidonMarcus

Hi

after number 4 you should expect it to come up.

if it's still failing, you may not have good connectivity to the disks, check that, and if it looks ok and you want to see it from the OS-  you need to stop the boot with control c to get to the loader (this control c prompt is before the control c to load the menu you attached .  when the loader shows, type boot_diags and troubleshoot any issues with the shelf connection (can use sysconfig -a command, disk show etc...)

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

Mohammad_wani

Hi,

Thank you for your fast reply.

I am not connected with disks(hard drives). I am only connecting aff a300 controller(has no hard drives) to my laptop via console.

I use the normal boot mode and it tells me select option 4 from the boot menu to choose disks for the root volume.

warning, there do not appear to be any disks attached to the system.

But my question is can I not create a cluster simply connecting my controller via console to the laptop. (no hard drives as attached)

I want to run a sysconfig -a command and i believe a cluster must have been created to run that command.

GidonMarcus

Hi

You have to have the shelves connected via SAS in order to do the install. it will have to use a few disks (or disk partitions) from the shelves for vol0 (stores the node config).

Gidi

SpindleNinja

The nodes boot from partitions on the disks in the shevles.     You will need to cable every external shelf that shipped with your system.   This will help in cableing the SAS shelves and various other parts of the initial setup.     https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2469722  

Mohammad_wani

Thank you guys spindle ninja and Gidi.

you have been a huge help.

thanks.

Mohammad_wani

HI Spindleninja,

As you mentioned You will need to cable every external shelf that shipped with your system.
This will help in cableing the SAS shelves and various other parts of the initial setup. 

My question is about SAS shelves, can i use Ds2246/ SAS drives with AFF A300 controller ? Because last time i remember you told me AFF A300 controller is ssd only?

Looking forward to your answer.

Thanks.

SpindleNinja

AFF won't recognize spinning drives.     That said, according to hwu.netapp.com yes you can use the 2246 with the IOM6 or 12 shelf with various SSD drives only, not SAS.      I would put these on a separate stack than any 224c shelves you have. 

The non-AFF equivalent of the A300 is the FAS8200 and you can use spinning drives on that model. 

Edit: to add,  I think the term SAS where you might have been confused in the other posts.  SAS is used loosely here,  SAS can mean a SAS shelf as they have SAS ports,  or a SAS disk.  my apologies.  

Public