ONTAP Discussions

Competing Technology to OSSV

martien

Is there competing technology to NetApp's OSSV technology?

If so what is it and who has it?

How do our competitors backup Heterogeneous environments

6 REPLIES 6

ekashpureff

There is no technology that can compete with OSSV !

: )

There are plenty of solutions that can do incremental backups from heterogeneous clients, but not with

the incrementals forever model and space savings that come with SnapVault.

The closest thing to a competitor isn't a competitor - they're a partner.

From the current NPSA class materials:

SnapVault for NetBackup

Overview:

¡Backs up heterogeneous clients
¡Creates backup images online for immediate access
¡Optimizes space utilization
¡Allows recovery of files using NFS and CIFS
There's over twelve pages of Snapvault for NetBackup material in the SnapVault module for the class, including
a tie in to dedupe. We teach SV NetBackup before we teach OSSV as the courseware is laid out.

I hope this response has been helpful to you.

At your service,

Eugene Kashpureff

NetAppU Instructor and Independent Consultant
(P.S. I appreciate points for helpful or correct answers.)

petter_glenstrup

Hi

Could you post the material used in the training, regarding Netbackup for SnapVault ?

ekashpureff

Petter -

Unfortunately, I can not post the training materials. That would be strictly forbidden by NetApp U.

But ... As a reseller, you can probably get access to them.

I know you can get into class using partner training credits.

The material is covered in our advanced NPSA - NetApp Protection Software Administration class.

You can find the next scheduled class by visiting http://www.fastlaneus.com/ .

Here's a link to a NBU/SV pdf file though:

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/products/Datasheets/Data_Protection/nbu_6_netapp_disk_dp_overview_dsht.pdf

You might also want to check out TR3396 - Unleashing the Potential of Disk-Based Data with Symantec and Network Appliance

http://media.netapp.com/documents/tr-3396.pdf

At your service,

Eugene Kashpureff

BrendonHiggins

Yes...  "not with the incrementals forever model and space savings that come with SnapVault."  ~ Not even the Tivoli Storage manager and Nearstore solition which NetApp used to sell? 

We have been testing our deployed SnapVault and OSSV systems against 3rd party systems using the same test data (Exchange, CIFS, VMware) and I would say I am supprised just how well the NetApp products did.  Yes the up front costs are high but the results are well worth the costs.  For every 100 Gb of NetApp, product X would need 3 or 5 times the raw backup disk to save the same data.  All products deduped and compressed but WALF snaps are just such better technology when it comes to storage and restore.  Then start talking about flexclone and single mailbox excovery tool, great feature set!

Bren

Sorry not posting 3rd party names but they are all mainstream solutions and prices STARTED at £100,000 and went UP!

Want to know more?  -  Fill your boots

http://communities.netapp.com/people/BrendonHiggins/blog/2010/11/08/ncie--netapp-certified-implementation-engineer-backup-and-recovery-ns0-510

ekashpureff

Brendon -

I don't think the Tivoli solution had the dedupe integration that the NBU solution has, so probably didn't come close to the space savings.

At your service,

Eugene Kashpureff

martien

Eugene,

Thanks for the reply...

I thought the integration between NetApp and Symantec had lapsed or at the very least is strained...

They view us as direct competition in my accounts

But it is good to know that you think we don't have competition in that space

Thanks again,

John

Public