ONTAP Discussions

Configuring Autosupport - Resolve DNS

kal

Hello,

I want to configure the AutoSupport for my Netapp. 

But my Netapp doesn't resolve my domain in the AutoSupport Setting.

Capture d’écran 2016-02-15 à 10.50.43.png

Concerning my Network :

- 10.0.0.0/24 is my cluster network

- 10.0.0.0/8 is my data network.

My default gateway is : 10.255.255.254/8

All SVMs of my nodes can ping Google for example : 

ping -node KSC-01-B -vserver SVM-NoeudB -destination google.fr '

But unfortunately, the Autosupport configuration doesn't resolve my mail domain. (mail.xxxx.com).

This is my route : 

show route.png

Best regards.

Kal.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Emile-Bodin

Hi kal,

Autosupport uses the node mngt lifs and the node svm to resolve dns.

Assuming you use cdot 8.3, the following guide has more information and troubleshooting steps on Page 244 and 245  https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMP1636037

1. Verify the status of the node management LIF: network interface show -home-node local -role node-mgmt -fields vserver,lif,status-oper,status-admin,address,role The status-oper and status-admin fields should return up.

2. Record the SVM name, the LIF name, and the LIF IP address for later use.

3. Ensure that DNS is enabled and configured correctly: vserver services name-service dns show

4. Display all of the servers configured to be used by AutoSupport: systerm node autosupport show -fields mail-hosts Record all server names displayed.

5. For each server displayed by the previous step, and support.netapp.com, ensure that the server or URL can be reached by the node: network traceroute -node local -destination server_name

If any of these routes is not functioning, try the same route from a functioning host on the same subnet as the cluster, using the “traceroute” or “tracert” utility found on most third-party network clients. This assists you in determining whether the issue is in your network configuration or your cluster configuration.

Regards

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Nick_Elliott

Sounds like the DNS settings are not configured or wrong for the cluster svm.

What is the output to an nslookup from a host to the mail server?

What is the output of vserver services dns show?

kal

Thank you for your answer.

The 'nslookup' from the host to the mail server works fine.

My domain is in Wan, that's why the DNS server is the Google's DNS. (I hide the domain for the bots).

Capture d’écran 2016-02-16 à 09.18.52.png

- "KSC-01" il the cluster.

- "SVM-ISCSI-NoeudA" is the SVM of the node 1

- "SVM-NoeudB" is the SVM of the node 2.

When I ping google from the 2 SVM, it works fine.

But the AutoSupoort is configured in the node, not in the SVM, isn't it ?

Bhanoji7

did you try with IP address.

kal

What do you mean by trying with my IP Address ?

Emile-Bodin

Hi kal,

Autosupport uses the node mngt lifs and the node svm to resolve dns.

Assuming you use cdot 8.3, the following guide has more information and troubleshooting steps on Page 244 and 245  https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMP1636037

1. Verify the status of the node management LIF: network interface show -home-node local -role node-mgmt -fields vserver,lif,status-oper,status-admin,address,role The status-oper and status-admin fields should return up.

2. Record the SVM name, the LIF name, and the LIF IP address for later use.

3. Ensure that DNS is enabled and configured correctly: vserver services name-service dns show

4. Display all of the servers configured to be used by AutoSupport: systerm node autosupport show -fields mail-hosts Record all server names displayed.

5. For each server displayed by the previous step, and support.netapp.com, ensure that the server or URL can be reached by the node: network traceroute -node local -destination server_name

If any of these routes is not functioning, try the same route from a functioning host on the same subnet as the cluster, using the “traceroute” or “tracert” utility found on most third-party network clients. This assists you in determining whether the issue is in your network configuration or your cluster configuration.

Regards

kal

Hi,

My Netapp finally resolve DNS. I configured Autosupport, I made a test :

system node autosupport invoke -type test -node KSC01-A

The test is successfull. When I try ; 

system node autosupport history show
             Seq                                    Attempt  Percent  Last
Node         Num   Destination Status               Count    Complete Update
------------ ----- ----------- -------------------- -------- -------- --------
KSC-01-A     317
                   smtp        ignore               1        -        2/23/2016 14:06:23
                   http        sent-successful      1        100      2/23/2016 14:07:39
                   noteto      ignore               1        -        2/23/2016 14:06:23

HTTP is "sent-successful". But in the Autosupport website, I have nothing :

Capture d’écran 2016-02-23 à 14.43.57.png

What do you think ?

Regards.

Emile-Bodin

Hi,

You opended the thread on the reachablility of the mailserver, but on the output you have send i see that SMTP is ignored. Did you fill in any address to send the asup's too?

Seq                                    Attempt  Percent  Last
Node         Num   Destination Status               Count    Complete Update
------------ ----- ----------- -------------------- -------- -------- --------
KSC-01-A     317
                   smtp        ignore               1        -        2/23/2016 14:06:23
                   http        sent-successful      1        100      2/23/2016 14:07:39
                   noteto      ignore               1        -        2/23/2016 14:06:2

As for the asups in your overview, it can take some time for them to show up.

Regards,

emile

kal

Hi,

I saw the SMTP configuration is not needed. Netapp send the logs by HTTP or HTTPS isn't it ?

I read this : (Page 8 and 10) .

http://www.netapp.com/us/media/tr-4444.pdf

Configuring Mail Server
Configure an e-mail server name or IP address that is able to route e-mail-based messages from storage.
This configuration is required for internal support organization or support partners to receive AutoSupport
messages or if you use SMTP as the transport protocol to NetApp

What do you think ?

Regards.

Emile-Bodin

Hi Kal,

Yes that is true. The default transport protocol is https.

smtp is not mandatory and is only needed if you require messages to be send internaly or to support partners.

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

kal

Hi Emile,

I have resolved the issue. I waited about 3-4h then I checked the myautosupport. The overview is here !

Thanks a lot for your help !

Best regards.

Public