ONTAP Discussions

Convert 7 mode to C mode without initialize disks

tuncay

Hi,

I searched but could not find anything about convert 7 mode to c-mode without initialize disks.

I knew only way is initialize the disks but I wonder is there any way to do it.

Thanks,

Tuncay

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AlexDawson

Unfortunately there is no supported way to do this.

When you consider that the maximum 7-mode ONTAP is 8.2.5, and our current ONTAP release is 9.2, with 8.3.2 the minimum recommended for CFT, there are a number of significant challenges. As a data management company we take the integrity and availability of customer data very seriously, and for a big change like this, we wouldn't want to do anything less than the best.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

aborzenkov
This is called CFT (Copy Free Transition) but it still requires new node(s) with enough disks for root aggregates, probably as swing gear.

tuncay

Hi,

Thanks for your respond . I knew CFT but I do not have new controller or disk. 

I know it is impossible to do it but I thought maybe somebody in commnuity made or tried in that way.

Thanks,

AlexDawson

Unfortunately there is no supported way to do this.

When you consider that the maximum 7-mode ONTAP is 8.2.5, and our current ONTAP release is 9.2, with 8.3.2 the minimum recommended for CFT, there are a number of significant challenges. As a data management company we take the integrity and availability of customer data very seriously, and for a big change like this, we wouldn't want to do anything less than the best.

Public