ONTAP Discussions

Convert an Existing SVM to SVM-DR

netappmagic

Let's say we have an SVM with total of 10 Volumes, and 5 of them is required to DR. I can either take out 5 no DR required volumes, and convert the SVM to SVM-DR. 

For these 5 no DR required volumes, I would have to put them to a new created SVM, and then all LIF's to access these volumes will have to be different, and therefore or user access, either to NFS or CIFS will have to be also changed as new SVM/LIF's got changed. 

Am I correct?

6 REPLIES 6

JGPSHNTAP

Depending on what version of ontap you are on, you can flag the volumes are either protected or unprotected.

Your second part of the question is confusing

You either want to setup an SVM-DR as identity-preserve true/false.

Take a look at the protection document, it will lay it our pretty good

netappmagic

I didn't make myself clear.

Let's say I set up identify-preserve = true. As I understand, the VLAN for the source SVM and the destination has to be in the same one. Correct.?

Also, DNS name should be the same as as well. How do I achieve that?

CIFS server name should be the same, therefore Domain name on the source and destination has to be the same as well. How do I achive that?

JGPSHNTAP

You're statement is not correct

You can create a policy to discard network settings.

We use 3DNS to do what you are asking....

But I would make sure in the event of a failover you swing the DNS name to the DR side.. 

GidonMarcus

Hi

you can create dedicated LIFs to be used on each site. (with different VLANs, subnet, default route and DNS servers). and use the "-discard-configs network" to not have it as part of the identity preserve replication 

As for AD. the SVM should be detecting the correct AD server to use based on the site configuration you have in AD and the subnet the SVM is on.

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

netappmagic

you can create dedicated LIFs to be used on each site. (with different VLANs, subnet, default route and DNS servers). and use the "-discard-configs network" to not have it as part of the identity preserve replication 

What you are talking about here is in the case of if I set identity-preserve=false. Correct ? Then dedicated LIF's means floating LIF's, and will be swung to the destination by DNS as SVM failover?

In the case of identify-preserve=true, which is preferred way, then I would have to have the source and destiantion in the same VLAN. Correct?

As for AD. the SVM should be detecting the correct AD server to use based on the site configuration you have in AD and the subnet the SVM is on.

in the case of identify-preserve=true, then I would have to use the same AD DOMAIN name, and I don't need to create CIFS server on the destination. Correct?
in the case of = false, can I use a different AD domain, and have to then create CIFS server?

netappmagic

Dedicated IP's are like a floading IP's between the sourt and the destination?

What you are saying here is in the case of if I set "identity-preserve=false", then I can use different VLAN. Correct?

In the case of "identity preserve=true", then I have to use the same VLAN for both Source, and Destination. Correct?

How SVM can detect the correct AD severs?

Again, in the case of identity-preserve=false, I then have to use a different CIFS server on DR, still have to use the same AD domain name. Correct?
in the case of it is set to "true", then I don't have to do anything, but still have to be the same AD domain name. Correct?

As you can see, I am confused. Thanks for your patience.

Public