2017-06-07 07:06 AM
Just a quick question about removing snapmirrored/vaulted volumes as I have had an issue in the past and just wanted to confirm the correct steps to be taken.
The previous issue I had was related to deleting a snapvault relationship after clearing an old relationship. This relationship sat on our destination filer and vaults from a snapmirror relationship which is also replicated to this filer. It had originally removed from view but reappeared. When trying to release the relationship I was getting a message saying "no releaseable destination found that matches those parameters".
We have 2 NetApp filers at 2 separate sites, snapmirror occurs on the volumes from Site A to Site B, on Site B we then use SnapVault to a separate volume for retention backups. We are using 7-mode 8.2.3P3 on both filers.
I normally follow the below steps when removing volumes. All of our volumes are fibre channels LUNs presented to VMware for serving datastores to our virtual machines.
- Perform VMware tasks such as unmounting and deleting the datastores in the vSphere web client
- Break snapmirror relationship for volume being decommissioned by doing a quiesce followed by a break, I normally do this from the source filer. Check relationship is removed from view in Production and DR filers using On command system manager.
- On Source NetApp filer, go to LUNs, and offline the LUN in question, followed by deletion of LUN.
- On source NetApp filer, go to volumes, offline the volume and then delete the volume.
- On destination filer remove any schedules for the snapvault relationship to be removed.
- On destination filer stop the related snapvault relationship, followed by release.
- Once snapvault relationship deleted, remove snapvault source and destination volume once sufficient snaps have built up by offline LUN, delete LUN, offline volume and delete volume.
Any steps I have missed of any advice if there is a better way to do this would be much appreciated.
Many Thanks in advance for your help.
Solved! See The Solution
2017-06-07 11:11 AM
You got pretty much everything covered. but there should be some slight change in order.
Step 2 should be on Destinatin
Step 6 should be on Source
quiesce, break, [delete] & release
That mean, step 6 should be just after your step-2
Once remove the snapvault/snapmirror relationship completly, (no relationship reporting between volume from sourse as well as destination cluster)
then only i'll proceed with LUN/volume unmaping, offline and delete process.
This link might help you.