ONTAP Discussions

Create a directory through CLI ONTAP 7.x

vshevchuk

Is there any way to create a directory from the CLI?

I need to create some authorized_keys files which is not a problem using wrfile, but first I need to create the required directories in etc/sshd.

No NFS or CIFS licenses, so CLI is it.

If there is another method that I am missing feel free to point it out.

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9

scottgelb

enable ftp or sftp/ftps

vshevchuk

Thanks, that does work for my systems that are 7.3.2+ as I can use sftp.  Unfortrunately I have systems that are at versions prior to 7.3.2 which do not have sftp and ftp is not an option due to security issues.

So any ideas on that?

Also, I would just like to confirm that I did not miss anything, and that creating a directory through the CLI is not possible.

Thanks again

scottgelb

Some i/o will work over cifs without a license.. Or maybe a temp key just since it's a one time thing.

Typos Sent on Blackberry Wireless

aborzenkov

What could work – pack necessary files as zip (relative to /etc) and use “software install” to unzip this file on filer. Theoretically, ndmpcopy from another system may work as well (I believe there are free implementations on ndmp.org).

scottgelb

Zip and ndmpcopy are great ideas on how to do this without file protocol.. Very clever.

Typos Sent on Blackberry Wireless

vshevchuk

Thanks, that is a clever way to do it.  Thanks for the answer.

I hope someone from NetApp is reading this so they can see what rigmarole they make their users go through for what should be a simple task.

Why this type of mundane functinality is not in ONTAP completely befuddles me?!

scottgelb

8.0.x 7mode has a diag account... I haven't tried it out but should work to create directories, vi files... so that is a good option when you upgrade from 7.3 to 8.

GVM666GVM

While it is true that some IO will be allowed it will be read-only.

So decent managing of a filer is impossible without a CIFS or an NFS license.

I'm not sure if somebody else confirmed this: you can't create a directory from the command line.

jaa

Kinda messy and kludgy but you could create directories with the qtree command, however, you can't create more than one level deep:

filer> qtree /bin

filer> wrfile -a /bin/test Hello this is a test # comment

filer> wrfile -a /bin/test "Including comment now # comment"

filer> qtree status vol0

Volume   Tree     Style Oplocks  Status  

-------- -------- ----- -------- ---------

vol0              unix  enabled  normal  

vol0     bin      unix  enabled  normal  

Verifying thru NFS:

# ls

bin etc home

# cat bin/test