ONTAP Discussions

Data OnTAP 8.2.5P2 Forthcoming?

TMADOCTHOMAS

Does anyone know if P2 is coming out soon for Data OnTAP 8.2.5? We are about to deploy 8.2.5 for the first time, but I would like to hold off for P2 if it is right around the corner. It's been awhile since P1 was posted and there are 9 D patches so I'm hoping P2 will be out soon.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AlexDawson

Yes - as far as I can tell, no plans for a 8.2.5P2 at this time.

8.2.5P1 should be considered the terminal release of 7DOT

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

JGPSHNTAP

Just use P1.  7-mode is essentially sunsetted, the only reason 8.2.5 came out with SSL fix and to turn off SMB 1.0. The D releases are for bugs for specific customers.  I checked with my account team and they said don't hold breath for 8.2.5P2, so P1 it is.  I would tend to lean that way as well

TMADOCTHOMAS

Ok then, thank you for the tip @JGPSHNTAP!

AlexDawson

Yes - as far as I can tell, no plans for a 8.2.5P2 at this time.

8.2.5P1 should be considered the terminal release of 7DOT

TMADOCTHOMAS

OK thanks @AlexDawson! Do you concur that I should just deploy P1 and not P1D9? I just looked through each of the D releases, and D4 and D6 in particular looks like something that might be worth patching since they involve controller panics. Let me know your thoughts!

AlexDawson

I know historically P releases have said they should only be installed on advice of NetApp Technical Support, but we really really mean it for D releases.

D releases are for specific BURT fixes, and should only be installed by the customers they are created for, and only on the systems they are intended to fix BURTs for. They are also not typically cumulative - ie, D5 doesn't necessarily contain the fixes from D1-D4. They might, but don't always. So no, don't install D-patch releases 🙂

TMADOCTHOMAS

Very good to know! Thank you for the explanation @AlexDawson!

AlexDawson

Hi there! Surprisingly, we have released a 8.2.5P2 today - https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/ontap/8.2.5P2/

TMADOCTHOMAS

Good to know! Thanks @AlexDawson.

Public