ONTAP Discussions

Data outside of qtrees

nsitps1976

I need to use qtree snapmirror due to it's file basedreplication, however some data sits in the root of the volume which is cifsshared. I also need to replicate this data but not using VSM. I have read aboutnone qtree data replication using a "-" within the source name.

Will this method satisfy my requirement? I am notinterested in system data / files, only user data. Also, is this method pureQSM as I will also be replicating other qtrees into this volume.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

radek_kubka

Yes, you can use "-" with QSM.

It actually tells SnapMirror to operate in qtree mode, not volume mode:

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel736/html/ontap/cmdref/man1/na_snapmirror.1.htm

Regards,
Radek

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

peter_lehmann

Yes you can get this done with:

filer> snapvault start -S filer1:/vol/volx/- filer2:/vol/vol_sv/"nonqtree_data"

Peter

nsitps1976

Hi Peter

1.In your example you use snapvault - It this also the case with snapmirror?

2.Will this still be file based replication?

3.Can the destination be the root of the volume rather then a qtree, i.e /filer2:/vol/vol

4. Can this be included in a schedule

Thanks

peter_lehmann

1.In your example you use snapvault - It this also the case with snapmirror?

- SnapMirror works differently, there you either snapmirror the whole volume or just a qtree, there is no "-" option

2.Will this still be file based replication?

- Yes this is the same replication as other snapvaults (block based)

3.Can the destination be the root of the volume rather then a qtree, i.e /filer2:/vol/vol

- No, the destination MUST be a qtree

4. Can this be included in a schedule

- Yes, the same way you schedule the other snapvaults, just with the "-" instead of the qtree name

Hope this helps,

Peter

nsitps1976

See "Data ONTAP 8.0 7-Mode Data Protection Online Backup and Recovery Guide" which refers to using "-" with snapmirror...?

radek_kubka

Yes, you can use "-" with QSM.

It actually tells SnapMirror to operate in qtree mode, not volume mode:

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel736/html/ontap/cmdref/man1/na_snapmirror.1.htm

Regards,
Radek

peter_lehmann

Yes, I stand corrected. well done guys ...

Peter

nsitps1976

Can anyone explain what this means.

Note: After the transfer, the non-qtree data can only be a SnapMirror source, never a destination. Although you can copy data from the non-qtree data to another qtree, you cannot copy data to the non-qtree data from another qtree.

Does this mean I can only snap mirror once and after this I can not update or schedule?

terryzolinski

A little late on a response for this, but what they are saying is that you can snapmirror from

vol/vol1/- to /vol/vol1_mirror/qtree, but you can't go from /vol/vol1/qtree to /vol/vol1_mirror/-

/- only exists as a source.

Public