ONTAP Discussions

De-Dupe volume sizes

My understanding is that there are limits for the size of volumes that can be de-duped. Is that right? What are those limits and where do they come from?

Thanks!

Dave

28 REPLIES 28

aarondelp

Sorry for the confusion Andrew - my comment was dedupe on the 9XX FAS series.  It is supported on everything else obviously! 

I could be wrong on that one but that is what I was told by somebody at NetApp the other day, I haven't ever had a need to verify if the support statement is true for the 900 series.  If it isn't, please let me know!

Thanks!

aarondelp

Hey Andrew - About the de-dupe sizes.  It was originally a bug that was turned into a "feature" because they don't plan on fixing it.  You are spot on for the reason why.  The original bug was #254856.  Thanks!!

amiller_1

So....I'm horrendously late replying here....but you're right -- I didn't catch the reference to the 9xx line.

So...I'll bow to your technical superiority. (this time at least )

p_liniger

Hello,

Unfortunately I don't see any Information about the FAS-2040 in the "tr-3505" Document.

Can somebody tell me the dedup limit for the FAS-2040?

Thanks,

Pascal

radek_kubka
Can somebody tell me the dedup limit for the FAS-2040?

That's a very good question. My (informed) guess is 3TB.

Here is why I think so:

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel732_vs/html/ontap/smg/GUID-7ED7077A-26E6-425A-B00E-E072FD7547F0.html

The title says "Operational limits for FlexClone files and FlexClone LUNs", but if you read carefully there is also this:

"Note: The block-sharing mechanism used by FlexClone files and LUNs is also used by deduplication."

Regards,

Radek

aarondelp

You are correct.  I have an e-mail from NetApp stating the 2040 limit is 3TB.

p_liniger

Ok, great to know.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Pascal

Public