ONTAP Discussions

Dedup: some figures in €

reinoud7

Hi Larry, hi all,

Here just a small update on my previous posting. Now, we have migrate our VMWare environment from iSCSI to NFS and at the same time we have turned on dedup!

I just take normal/average street prices of the storage. But after dedup, we had a reduction of 21 TB raw capacity (most of them are expensive FC-drives (15k rpm) in our VMWare environment only. We have estimate this on a year over year profit of 68.000 € or more than 80.000 $ (everything included).

But what have we done with the money?

Well, instead of using VCB for backup, we now just take snapshots on the netapp layer: 48 x 1h, 7 x 1w and 4 x 1 mth and do a snapmirror of every nfs volume to our DR site. This has reduced the benefit a little bit but we have now a real backup and a real DR solution for our VM environment.

Greetings from Belgium,

Reinoud

2 REPLIES 2

friea

Hi Reinoud,

Thanks for sharing the update and congrats on completing the migration to NFS and DR implimentation! I recall you were one of the beta testers of ESX 3.0 with iSCSI ... any feedback on why you shifted to NFS? And what types of environments have you virtualized?

-f

reinoud7

Hi Friea,

There are several raisons to migrate from iSCSI to nfs:

• higher performance
  • thin provisioning
  • very nice and stable protocol
  • when you can choose between managing files or managing luns, what do you think that I'll choose?

Greetings,

Reinoud

Public