ONTAP Discussions

Deduplication is not supported on an active/active configuration?

__WillGreen_13030

When reading about deduplication I came across the following statement in the ONTAP 7.3 documentation:

"Note: Deduplication is not supported on an active/active configuration."

I hadn't come across any mention of this elsewhere, so I was hoping for some clarification, especially as the document goes on to say:

"Administrative deduplication operations, such as viewing or stopping deduplication operations, are postponed until the partner volume is given back."

2 REPLIES 2

lfreeman

Hi Will,

What we mean by "not being supported" in an active-active configuration is that if a takeover occurs and dedupe is running, dedupe will stop. I don't think this is a big deal, it just means that you need to restart it manually after giveback, or just wait until the next scheduled dedupe process kicks in. Here is how I described it in the Dedupe FAQ:

27. Will deduplication work in a clustered (CFO) environment?

Yes, the deduplication operation will suspend during takeover and can be resumed after giveback. During the takeover period, deduplication will continue to create and log digital fingerprints as new writes take place on the volume. Note: deduplication must be licensed on all CFO cluster nodes.

Does that help?

DrDedupe

__WillGreen_13030

Thanks for clarifying that for me, it's what I imagined it must mean, but I wanted to be sure. I'd suggest the documentation be made more explicit.

Thanks again Dr.

Public