ONTAP Discussions

Destroying LUN(s) on the volume does not free up the volume space

SOMU221087

Hello,

I have created 5LUN(s) each of 5GB on a volume  say "/vol/newvol". Later I destroyed all the LUNs and observed that the volume's  "avail size" and " capacity" still remains same on executing "df -h". Should I execute any explicit command or this should be taken care automatically??

Thanks,

Somu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

If you have snapshots on this volume, you may need to delete snapshots which still has “copies” of these LUNs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

aborzenkov

If you have snapshots on this volume, you may need to delete snapshots which still has “copies” of these LUNs.

YCARMI_ISRACARD

to display the amount of space you can reclaim by deleting snapshot copies

use the following command

snap reclaimable vol_name snapshot_name

SOMU221087

I did not want to delete snapshots, just in-case if I needed them. The snapshots were indeed taking lot of space. Thanks for the help. One more generic question I have is about aggregate. What is recommended. Should we use one single aggregate(aggr0) and create multiple volumes within and add spare disks to it as and when one wishes to increase the size or use multiple aggregates?? When I went through the forum, I saw discussions where people recommended not to use root vol(/vol/vol0) to run traffic but no one mentioned anything about aggregates.

Thanks,

Somu

Public