ONTAP Discussions

Diff between "IOM3 Firmware" and "ACP_IOM Firmware"?

WSANDERSATFLEXERA

We are trying to get our ducks in line before an upgrade. I see two different versions of IOM3 firmware at https://support.netapp.com/NOW/download/tools/diskshelf/: "IOM3 Firmware rev 0172" and "ACP_IOM3 Firmware rev 0141", both for part number SP-5712A-R6.  I see no part number for the IOM3 in the output of sysconfig -a/-v. Does anyone know how to tell the difference?

Although, when I download the zip file with the shelf FW, I do get both shelf and ACP firmware. So I assume both "IOM3 Firmware rev 0172" and "ACP_IOM3 Firmware rev 0141" are part of the package?

Does the IOM3 upgrade clobber one of dual SAS paths if it's autoinstalled as part of the background upgrade? (I understand it

s supposed to be nondisruptive.) If so, is it even necessary to update the IOM3 before a OnTAP upgrade? As I understand it the upgrade (8.0.2 to 8.1.4 in our case) will do it anyway.

Thanks w

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JGPSHNTAP

Wiley,

If you are unsare about redundant paths, run storage show disk -p to ensure you are MPHA, also, run config advisor against your cluster to see

All IOM firmware should be NDU.  I've done hundreds of shelf module upgrades and never have run into an issue. 

What version on ontap are you running and version of IOM are you running?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

WSANDERSATFLEXERA

Update: Downloading the zip file, I do get both shelf and ACP firmware. I have successfully updated the ACP but I am holding off on IOM3 since I am not 100% sure it will be non disruptive - I have no reason to suspect that I do not have redundant SAS paths, but I am not 100% sure since the filer is in a remote location and I can't inspect the cabling. I will put it off until a time close to the actual OnTAP upgrade, or just let the OnTAP upgrade do it..

JGPSHNTAP

Wiley,

If you are unsare about redundant paths, run storage show disk -p to ensure you are MPHA, also, run config advisor against your cluster to see

All IOM firmware should be NDU.  I've done hundreds of shelf module upgrades and never have run into an issue. 

What version on ontap are you running and version of IOM are you running?

WSANDERSATFLEXERA

OK, shelf upgrade worked fine, no disruption. Thanks for the help. It did take 2 passes, a couple shelves failed to download on the first pass but succeeded on the second pass.

Public